cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retentions: Worst Customer Experience

HOS90
Tuning in

I am currently a Virgin Media Broadband customer with 350mb at £35 p/mth, and set to expire on 15 March 2023 and increase to £67 p/mth. Of course being from a sim card generation, I look out for new deals ready to hand in my 30 days notice if need be.

I first contacted the retentions team on 06Feb2023, where I spoke to a lady who tried her best to keep me on, she found a deal which was slightly interesting, and I asked her to phone back by 12 as I was busy the rest of the day, unfortunately she did not - and attempted to call back between 2-3. However during this conversation she stated that, I did not need to hand in a 30 days notice, that the contract would simply expire on the end date - Happy days!

I went on with my days, safe in the knowledge that my contract would expire on its own without any intervention, until I received a 'reminder' email on 22Feb2023 stating my contract was due to end and the price increase will occur on 15March2023 - and to my alarm, it stated that I MUST give 30 days notice (thanks for letting me know a week late). 

I contacted the retentions team immediately on the 22Feb2023, where I experienced one of the worst customer experiences of my life - I was on the phone for what felt like 2hrs, and despite stating 7-10x "I would like to hand in my notice to terminate my contract on 15Mar2023", on each occasion the member of staff continually attempted to keep me on at virgin offering me deals, this was despite asking to speak to her manager if she was unable to terminate. This cycle continued until I became mentally exhausted and hung up the phone.

I then attempted to call again this time on 24Mar2023, of course they attempted to offer me new deals, but I was adamant to terminate my contract (I shouldn't have to beg to terminate), the lady understood the assignment but stated I would have to give 30 days notice, despite trying to do so since 06Feb2023, and my contract will end on 26Mar2023, and I will have to pay the increased price of £67 p/mth, I asked to speak to a manager, I was denied, exasperated I just accepted my fate, and just continued with the termination as above.

I felt really disgruntled that Virgin's tactic has cost me essentially a month - I attempted to contact complaints department, and I was just passed on from pillar to post between different members in the retentions team that must have thought it was some sort of game. Of course I eventually hung up. 

Despite having no issues from a service level, the customer service was absolutely atrocious, the worst I have ever experienced. 

I feel like I have been robbed of another months service despite not wanting it and at a higher price point than I accounted for. I will now be paying over £100 for Mar2023 (including my new service with another provider), instead of the £30 that I planned.

6 REPLIES 6

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi HOS90,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for the experience faced, our team should always be advising that a notice period needs to be placed in for cancellation.

Just so we can investigate the matter further I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your cooperation over PM HOS90,

Although we are sad to see you leave I'm glad we were able to get the matter resolved for you.

If you do have any future queries then be sure to pop back for further advice.

All the best,

Kain

I have unfortunately experienced more issues related to this, so I have opened the thread *sighs*.

Hi HOS90 

Thank you for your response.

Could you please expand on whats happened and what it is you need further support with?

We would be happy to help. 

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vicky,

Sorry, I sent a private message to Kain thinking it would be accessible to all in the VM team.

I have been charged a direct debit of £66 which relates to my previous broadband contract with VM which I wanted to cancel, but after a long winded back and forth with the customer service team, they later stated I had to give a 30 day notice (despite saying otherwise before). A credit note has been provided against this, but I have been charged pro-rated for some reason leaving a credit balance of around £51.

Kain previously dealt with this, and resolved the issue by essentially cancelling £66 and terminating my contract on the date my contract was set to end. The annoying thing which I don't understand is that I was later offered the opportunity to upgrade virgin to 1gig by your retentions team which I accepted. So it should've simply been a continuous service. 

Secondly, I cancelled the direct debit of my original contract, so I have no idea how they took the £66 (despite Kain previously cancelling this), unless they set up another direct debit for the new contract and used that as the basis to charge me £66.

Please could your team investigate this, I have tried to contact via telephone but I got no where with the call handler.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @HOS90,

Thank you for your reply, I am sorry for the issues you are having regarding this. I can see you are in PM with Kain and he will be able to look into this for you.

Zoie