Menu
lmwald
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Request to provide Fibre Broadband

I have a young family and run a business from home and the BT broadband we have is cripplingly slow.

I contacted Openreach and they proposed a community broadband project to install fibre to 11 addresses near me. I contacted the person at 47 [Removed] who said he already hand fibre broadband from Virgin Media. I contacted Virgin Media and was told that its fibre is available to 43,45, and 47 [Removed] but nowhere else.

I then phoned Virgin Media and was told that someone would contact me and let me know if you could provide fbre broadband to my home. No one has done so yet and I am desperate to find out. The Openreach option is slow and expensive and they take a long time to communicate.

I will subscribe to a substantial package including broadband, phones, mobile phones and tv if the service is provided. Also I'm sure the neighbors at 37 and 39 would also subscribe.

So please let me know if you can provide fibre broadband to 41 [Removed] and if so when.

Best wishes

[Mod Edit - Removed personal information]
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to provide Fibre Broadband

@lmwald wrote:
 I have a young family and run a business from home and the BT broadband we have is cripplingly slow.

I contacted Openreach and they proposed a community broadband project to install fibre to 11 addresses near me. I contacted the person at 47 [Removed] who said he already hand fibre broadband from Virgin Media. I contacted Virgin Media and was told that its fibre is available to 43,45, and 47 [Removed] but nowhere else.

I then phoned Virgin Media and was told that someone would contact me and let me know if you could provide fbre broadband to my home. No one has done so yet and I am desperate to find out. The Openreach option is slow and expensive and they take a long time to communicate.

I will subscribe to a substantial package including broadband, phones, mobile phones and tv if the service is provided. Also I'm sure the neighbors at 37 and 39 would also subscribe.

So please let me know if you can provide fibre broadband to 41 [Removed] and if so when.

Best wishes

I will leave the staff here to follow this up, but just so you are aware. Virgin Media is a Residential service. It specifically states in the T&Cs that the services must not be used for Business purposes. There is also no fixed SLA for the resolution of faults, should they occur.

Virgin has a Business arm that does offer an SLA for resolution of faults. However, you cannot have TV services on a Business account.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

lmwald
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

If necessary I will maintain existing the broadband for business usage which only constitutes a small amount of the traffic. The main requirement is my 14 year old twin daughters' educational needs plus general connectivity and entertainment for the entire family.

Please proceed on a residential only basis.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Imwald,

Welcome to the community forum and thank you for your post. As it is a residential account you are looking at potentially getting installed we will be able to assist. Are you able to detail if it was inbound sales you spoke to regarding getting the services? Also was it a spotter that was dispatched to see if the services could be added? Can you also confirm when this was carried out?

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
lmwald
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Louis

(My name is also Louis - in case this causes confusion later:-))

I spoke to June in Sales. She called me from 0345 454 1111 - initially, we had a bad line.

Not sure what you meant by inbound sales. I have not spoken to a spotter. 

AS I said above, I contacted Virgin because my neighbour at 47 [Removed] told me that he has your fibre broadband service. I was told by Virgin that it was available to my direct neighbour at 43 [Removed] but not me at 41.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Louis Wald

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Imwald, 

Our apologies for the confusion caused. When you say someone was sent out to see if it was possible to get the services there, when was this and was a time scale given to you for an answer to come back?

Many thanks,

Louis 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Louis_R @lmwald 

read this and was bored - google maps can mislead as they guess house numbers but looking it seems to show the numbers to be 99% certain which is 41 - if so there is what looks like an access point on the pavement directly in front of 41 as there is with 43 and 39 

maybe the OP can confirm i have the right house - a front wall with interesting stonework and brickwork in random patterns - box on the pavement looks like an access point but i guess it could be water - again if i am correct can the OP investigate the box in the pavement

disclaimer is google photo is ove 12 months old so maybe work has been done to the pavement so box is no longer there

if it is indeed an access point then there has to be other reasons the OP is being told they cannot have VM

Tony
0 Kudos
lmwald
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

Google maps shows 41 as 39. Correct, my house border wall has got stonework about 1m high then a 2m hedge above, with 2 brick piers and driveways either side.

I have visited and inspected the 2 houses that have Virgin fibre, 45 and 47. I can see the new Virgin access point covers on the pavement right next to their borders and positioned either side of the wall that separates their properties. 

I cannot see a new Virgin access point outside 43. I can see various bigger, older access point covers with 'BT' and the old 'Telecom' logos on them.

Apparently, the Virgin fibre access points were installed around a year ago.

Does this help?

rgds

Louis

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

from your description i have the correct property - i thought the point in the pavement looked like an access point but looking down the road can see the ones at 45/47 and they are different - add to that you can see the repairs to the pavement where the duct has been installed and it stops there

will pass it back to VM - i am just a user who helps where possible - you can push them but i dont think you have much hope - why they stopped where they did is anybodies guess but they have no budget at the moment for infill 

house.jpghouse2.jpg

Tony
0 Kudos
lmwald
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Also I just spoke to the owner of 43 - my direct neighbour. She said they spoke to Virgin and were told that they can get Virgin fibre within a week.

0 Kudos