cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewing Contract

PaulyP
Tuning in

Hi All,

My contract has just come to an end. While some in the family want to go to Sky, I very much prefer Virgin based on current package.

I have been looking to see what packages are available on Virgin and my question is, if we stayed with Virgin and signed on to a new contract would we be able to stay on the "TIVO" v6 as I don't want to downgrade to TV 360 - particularly as we have two V6's and I don't want to mix up all my recordings with others in the house (this is the main issue); half our total storage; or half the number of tuners.

Currently I'm on the ultimate bundle with 650MB, all TV and sports and movies but given the package is jumping up by £60 a month now out of contract I need to consider options. 

I also notice on the Virgin bundles page that the majority of broadbands speeds is M100 or M200, even an M50. What is this? Have we gone back in time 6 years?

I expected things to see the bundles with M200 minimum, with 400, 600 and GB options but it seems everything is downgrading. 

Humm getting a bit of track there. TV is the main thing and not having to sign up for TV 360.

Any thoughts much appreciated. 

12 REPLIES 12

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Paul,

I shall be looking to renegotiate shortly when my current discounts end. You really need to give yourself a ballpark figure of how much you are willing  to pay and don't budge from that.

Just for comparison with yourself, I'm on a discounted Ultimate Oomph package and paying more than £117. 

You should be able to get that £117 figure down to £100 or £110, looking at the forums some have even managed to negotiate £90, BUT you need to be telling the agent that you can't afford what's offered and if they can't give you a price you can afford then you are cancelling. 

You need to firm with them.  Do a little of homework. See what prices other providers offer, and have those figures handy to use as a negotiating weapon.

Also check out the current VM prices and what's available on the following page <<< Here >>>  The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. 

You should look at what's available in each bundle/package and ask yourself, "do I really want/need that?" 

I don't have netflix, and have never signed up for it anyway, so the free netflix which is included in the Ultimate Volt, Biggest TV bundle or Biggest TV Volt bundle doesn't interest me. Yes, it's a good "free extra" but not a deal breaker for me.

I would be perfectly happy with a package I could build myself with multiroom, a decent broadband speed, plus Sky Sports HD (would love it in 4K too if VM ever get it) and BT Sports and Maxit TV.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for all your help and advice Dave

I did go back to them and got it down to £110 /month which when I take off my Netflix sub I am currently paying, that gives me the same as I was currently paying so I'm happy enough with that to continue with Virgin.
Maybe could have done a bit better if I'd persisted but I'm happy enough with it now - though it was a 2 hour conversation discussing it and then going through the contracts for Virgin and O2 - time for a rest!

Once again - thanks for all the help 🙂

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Paul,

Thanks for updating the thread with the good news that you've managed to negoatiate a suitable deal

I think I should be aiming for that price point too when my discount expires, but may try for £100 since I have use for netflix (it's worth a try). 

Well done for persevering, I reckon you deserve to treat yourself to a noggin or two of your favourite tipple now  (for medicinal purposes due to the heatwave)

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali