cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refer a Friend Scam

rseargent
Tuning in

Is it common for Virgin Media salesmen to say anything to make a sale or was I just unlucky?

I recently moved house. My girlfriend submitted a refer a friend application for me. At the same time I got a card through my door from a Virgin salesman. Thinking the two things were connected I called the number on the card. The salesman, Andrew, was very keen to come round to see me and I let him into my home. It transpired that the card was just a prospecting thing, unrelated to the refer a friend. While Andrew was here I received another call from a Virgin representative following up on the refer a friend.

I made a wrong decision and signed up for 1Gig Broadband and a sim with Andrew rather than the second Virgin salesman. Andrew said I would receive all the benefits offered including the refer a friend £50 as would my girlfriend. I never received the money and when I enquired and complained it seems that there is no record of the refer a friend.

I’ve requested my contract be cancelled as this mis-selling is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act. I’ve cancelled my direct debit and will fight any attempt to charge early cancellation charges.

Disgraceful underhand selling techniques employed by a company I thought should be trustworthy.

4 REPLIES 4

rseargent
Tuning in

If I told Virgin Media I was going to give them £50 I don’t think they would just forget about it if I decided afterwards not to bother.

Hi @rseargent

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about your experience regarding the refer a friend offer. 

There is a process that needs to be followed to receive the £50 refer a friend offer, If this wasn't done, you wouldn't be eligible for the offer unfortunately. 

Virgin Media’s referral partner Aklamio are the ones who apply the rewards, you can contact them direct, however if you didn't place the order using the referral link and code you wouldn't be eligible unfortunately.

There are more details on the refer a friend process here for you 

Did Andrew provide any further details on how this would be applied for you? Did he provide anything in writing regarding the offer that you could send to me?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vikki,

I realise there is a process to be followed, however if the Virgin salesman told me I was going to get the refer a friend £50 and then he didn’t follow the correct procedure that’s not my problem

The only record I have is a series of text messages where he asks after he had visited for confirmation of my girlfriend’s details for the refer a friend as she referred me. I sent him the info and he replies thanking me and saying everything is sorted.

I want the deal I was told I was getting. It’s not acceptable that the Virgin salesman came into my home and told me I would get something that I didn’t receive.

I’ve forwarded this info to both Virgin Customer Service and to Aklamio. Neither company seems bothered, but I am bothered.

Thank you for sending that over.

I have reviewed this with my manager and will pop you a private message now so I can get some further details and discuss a resolution securely.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide