Menu
desertman
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Recent price increase

I have been a VM customer for over 20 years, I think it is about time I left due to the poor connectivity I have experienced recently and absurd price hikes - e.g. for 6 weeks every evening our connections would drop out for hours, after many calls, two engineer visits and many chats on here, the problem was found.... 

I now pay £50 a month for 100 mb, free weekend calls, nothing else....I rang VM but they said that is the minimum? what?

If I were a new customer I would be offered much better deals, Sky for example are offering free calls anytime and 73mb for £32 / month - 

I will give VM one last call and if no deal can be offered I will give my 30 day notice in....£50 a month not sure what we are getting for this...anyone else??

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent price increase

Are you rounding up to £50 a month?  The reason I ask is that VM list the regular price of their 100Mbs service with Talk Weekend as £49 here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare

The new customer price is as usual lower for the first 12 months.

I always get in touch with them when I get a price rise notification and so far have always managed to negotiate a better deal.  The more services you have from VM the more room they have to provide discounts.  Unlike you I also have a TV package, so that may help me get a better deal. It also helps if you have decent competition in your area.  BT started rolling out their 300Mbps service in my area so I mentioned that when negotiating a new deal.  I managed to get a BB speed increase and a discount and all I lost was the Kids TV channels as I was moved from a legacy TV package (Full House) to a current one (Max It).

Might be worth checking you are on the current M100 package and not an old legacy one like Vivid100 as legacy packages are less likely to get loyalty discounts.  Also ask if adding TV would make a difference, it sounds counterintuitive but sometimes they can offer a credit/discount for adding or upgrading a service.

Ultimately if they can't offer you a deal that is acceptable your only option is to leave, that is kinda the point of having competition and therefore choices.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
desertman
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott

thanks for the info 

yes my bill this month basic is £50.40 and I’m on m100 - they upped it automatically in the new year

i shall try the method you suggested and see what they say - failing any positive offers I will leave 

thanks again

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Seems odd to be charging you more than the £49 they list on the site, unless that £50.40 includes £1.40 of call charges.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
desertman
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

My bill is 50.50 which includes itemised calls - free weekend calls line rental and broadband M100

I’m going to ring them again tomorrow

Thanks

0 Kudos
WelshPaul
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My discount ends on 8th Jan at which point VM will charge me £50 for 200mb BB. I will try and renegotiate but will leave if I don't get a deal. Thankfully BT have upgraded my area to FTTP and BT offer 300mb FTTP and a landline at a discounted price of £49.99 a month for 24 months and then £52.99 a month! Check to see if it's available where you are. No way am I paying VM £50 a month just for 200mb BB. 

0 Kudos