Menu
simonbt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Really Annoyed - Ommph package

I'm pretty chilled but today VM has got my back right up.

Been with them for 20 years now, the majority of the time on the TOP package (currently on VIP)

I'm now out of contract and got offered a measly £7 off while new customers are getting the same..and more for £99 a month...I'm currently paying £129 a month, that's a massive £30 more a month.

Would any mod or customer adviser like to explain how this is 'OK'? I am currently trawling my way through the Sky site to find the best offers which by the looks of it, won't take me too long.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really Annoyed - Ommph package

we got the same discount as you.

new customers always get the best deals, it's the same with many companies. they groom you in then prices go up. there is no right to a discount for any of us.

in a few short years you will be paying the going rate with sky and look to move again after seeing how new customers are getting better deals. we only just stayed with virgin.

ultimately the only way to get continuous 'good deals' is change every supplier each year.

as for 'Would any mod or customer adviser like to explain how this is 'OK' '
the new customer business model is encouraged by the regulator and by successive governments.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
zvonok
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Maybe as it stands  for now … BUT … the likelihood is that this sort of 'new' customer deal - which is currently in use... and WAS with Insurance Companies… BUT as you may be aware the Insurance companies are moving away from it and giving current customers the 'same or better' deal on renewal.

The first BB/TV/PHONE provider that does that will 'collapse' this old-fashioned and greedy way of dealing with customers... They are soon to be 'confronted' additionally with 5g speeds whereupon BB speeds may not be relevant for the average household!!

It will not be long in reaching this 'money-grabbing' industry as well … and GOOD!!!

ZvnK ...

CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Totally different business model between insurance and ISPs.

Not sure of the relevance of 5G. If it's going to be that much faster and have the kind of data allowances that make fixed line irrelevant Virgin Media are going to have to try and compete on performance and unlimited data allowances, not price. If you want cheap you aren't going to pay the premium for 5G.

The first company that follows the insurance model will have to charge higher prices during the first year to compensate for charging the same for subsequent years and, as a result, will likely collapse themselves. People looking for the cheapest deals aren't going to care what price they'll get in month 19, they'll be told by the comparison websites the cost over months 1-12 or 1-18 and can then go elsewhere afterwards.

0 Kudos
wez
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your're paying the actual cost of the services, the new customers get a better deal for a year only - then they pay the same as you.

If you don't like it you'll need to change provider at the end of every introductory deal. The providers are not going to change soon, and if they do it will only mean we all pay extra for the services - so you still won't get it any cheaper.

5G won't be a full fledged replacement anytime soon - if ever - the limitations for a lot of people will mean its not suitable (signal, location, ease of use, cost, upload/download etc).

0 Kudos
wez
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just checked Sky.com and the same package as the VIP (much slower BB though) is £112 per month with 59 upfront.

It doesn't tell you what it will change to after the contract period.

You might be able to get a better price over the phone - but I think the VIP still holds a lot of value compared to that.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Simon,

Sky is a bag of **bleep** mate - Just left them (and after much resistance) signed up to VM for TV for 1 person living here. As for new customer deals, not so. I have been with VM for donkeys years - and when I called for the TV the first thing I was offered was the £99 deal. I declined but it's not just new customers.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:

new customers always get the best deals, it's the same with many companies. they groom you in then prices go up. there is no right to a discount for any of us.

in a few short years you will be paying the going rate with sky and look to move again after seeing how new customers are getting better deals. we only just stayed with virgin.

ultimately the only way to get continuous 'good deals' is change every supplier each year. 

the new customer business model is encouraged by the regulator and by successive governments.

Could be worse mate - Can you imagine getting  "groomed" and then when the prices go up you are told "tough titty mate you signed up for this long at this price - but we can increase it when we want to and you can't leave" ?

Yup - did I mention Sky were a bag of **bleep**!? At least VM let you leave if they do the same..   Years ago our "half price for 12 months for leaving VM" deal with Sky went up 4 months in - and we had to stay and pay an extra £32 a month due to Sky's attitude. 

As for Wez's comment about "after a year they pay the same as you" no they don't - they re negotiate or leave and return. Seems the OP hasn't done that - so what to expect? 

0 Kudos
wez
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

@jamesofmerton wrote:

Could be worse mate - Can you imagine getting  "groomed" and then when the prices go up you are told "tough titty mate you signed up for this long at this price - but we can increase it when we want to and you can't leave" ?

Yup - did I mention Sky were a bag of **bleep**!? At least VM let you leave if they do the same..   Years ago our "half price for 12 months for leaving VM" deal with Sky went up 4 months in - and we had to stay and pay an extra £32 a month due to Sky's attitude. 

As for Wez's comment about "after a year they pay the same as you" no they don't - they re negotiate or leave and return. Seems the OP hasn't done that - so what to expect? 

The standard pricing is just that - once your out of contract you pay that. Unless you enter another 12 month contract and get a deal for doing that - if you don't enter a new contract then they would be on the same deal as the OP - as he indicated he was on the standard pricing.

0 Kudos