cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Refusal to add Automatic Compensation

pepsimax73
Tuning in

To say I'm [MOD EDIT: Language] with virgin media would be an understatement my broadband service was down after a lightning strike in the area which fried the network so I was left without broadband from the late night 31st January until the 6th of February. I assumed that I'd done everything correct contacted virgin done the compensation bit on the app knew I'd lose 48 hours because that's what it had said got my latest bill no reduction.

I'm just off the phone to ask why this is and the advisor was asking if I had a total loss of service as its not showing as that. I must have been making it up then I'll just leave myself with no broadband just for a laugh daughter studying for exams but let's have a chuckle. After getting no where the advisor then informs me about the lose of service it only counts Monday to Friday as days of lose of service the weekends don't factor in will virgin be reducing my bill because I'm not going to pay for weekend broadband use. I didn't know that virgin only worked Monday to Friday the technicians I see at weekends must be doing homers.

I ask to speak to a supervisor and would you believe it they where in a meeting shock horror. I've only been with these charlatans a couple of months but if I want to leave they'll ram an early contract termination fee up my posterior.

Sky broadband maybe slow but I never had issues like this plus they didn't charge me for switching outwith my contract dates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @pepsimax73 

I've moved your posts and created a new thread for you.

The post you added to was from last year may not have been picked up by forum staff because the original poster from that thread had marked the topic as resolved.

They will see this new thread and answer in a day or two.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@pepsimax73 wrote:

To say I'm [MOD EDIT: Language] with virgin media would be an understatement my broadband service was down after a lightning strike in the area which fried the network so I was left without broadband from the late night 31st January until the 6th of February. <snip>

Based on your description for a 'total loss of service'...

VM gets two full working days (Mon to Fri) to fix the fault. Thereafter compensation is at £8.40 per full calendar day.

Wed 1 Feb - Assume you reported to VM by one of the approved means
Thurs 2 Feb - First working day for VM to repair
Fri 3 Feb - Second working day for VM to repair
Sat 4 Feb - Day 1 compensation
Sun 5 Feb - Day 2 compensation
Mon 6 Feb - Service restored

'Payment trigger time' (VM's window of opportunity to fix the fault) - 1 Feb to 3 Feb inc. = £8.40
Compensation days - 4 Feb to 5 Feb inc. = 2 x £8.40

Total = 3 x 8.40 = £25.20

VM requires you to phone in the fault or use one of its automated test process (online or phone) to log the total loss of service (TLS).

TLS is defined in para 23 below

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

VM has 30 days from when the service was restored to credit your account.

'Supervisor is in a meeting' is the standard fob-off to get you off the phone. It is recounted endlessly in topics on here.

Compensation 'only counts Monday to Friday' is also untrue but VM does have two full working days (Mon to Fri) to fix the fault before any compensation is applied.

That's what I'd worked out as compensation and phoned in straight away and constantly as usual engineer booked then cancelled then rebooked then cancelled. The galling thing is I'm not asking for thousands just what I'm due too my broadband being down.

@pepsimax73 wrote:

That's what I'd worked out as compensation and phoned in straight away and constantly as usual engineer booked then cancelled then rebooked then cancelled. The galling thing is I'm not asking for thousands just what I'm due too my broadband being down.

The VM forum team should reply to your post within a few days. They may offer to deal with it for you or they may just tell you to make a complaint. If the latter you need to use VM's formal complaint process

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

best done in writing, via post, using a signed for delivery service.

There is a high chance your VM complaint will be fobbed off or you will receive a gobbledegook nonsense answer from VM. If that happens you request a deadlock letter and take the issue to

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

for adjudication. If VM fails to provide the deadlock letter you can go to Ombudsman Services 8 weeks after you made your formal complaint to VM.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @pepsimax73 

I've moved your posts and created a new thread for you.

The post you added to was from last year may not have been picked up by forum staff because the original poster from that thread had marked the topic as resolved.

They will see this new thread and answer in a day or two.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @pepsimax73 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of the dispute over the Automatic Compensation. I will send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for joining me on PM and allowing me to sort this for you, pepsimax73.

Do pop back if you ever need help going forward.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill