cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: On fixed price deal till January 2023 but price increasing from March 2022

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all very confusing.

I renewed my contract in August 2021. It ends in November 2022.

The contract says I pay £79/month until the contract end.

I also have a letter saying 'Our prices are going up'. It also says 'Our price increases won't affect you until your price-fixed offer ends'.

I've no idea how 'fixed-price offer' is defined.

In the meantime, I've had 4 phone calls with the retentions team. Two of them confirm my monthly fee will not change. Two others told me that my bill will increase by £8.50, but that they will discount my bill by the same £8.50 for the next 6 months.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all very confusing.

I have a contract that ends in November 2022.

My letter says 'Our price increase won't affect you until your fixed-price offer ends'.

I thought I had a 'fixed-price offer', but I can't see how this is defined. 

I have spoken to the retentions team four times this afternoon. Two confirm that my bill will not be increased. The other two suggest it will increase in March.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add, my letter also headlines with 'However, your prices won't change until your offer ends', which is explicit.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm on a fixed price deal until the end of my contract in october and received the same email as yourself. 

Your price will NOT increase until November.

I had the same email last year as well and because I was on a fixed price mine didn't increase.

For anybody else reading this thread :=

Any discount that you’ve been offered for the 12/18 months will still be honoured – so if you accepted a fixed price then you’ll receive that until the end of the discount period.

If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from the 1st March.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @newapollo, I chased Virgin again this morning. They are adamant that there will be an increase.

A lot of people are going to assume they will be at the same price until their contract ends, but end up being disappointed in March.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Anonymous

If the letter states, "Our price increases won't affect you until your price-fixed offer ends" then VM cannot increase your price until November.

If they do then VM haven't got a leg to stand on. Keep hold of the letter and also scan/copy it.

It's very possible that the contradicting answers from VM are because the contracts don't say you have a fixed price, so it's difficult for some staff tell,however the back end systems should have the correct information.

I would have thought that the systems would have a code applied to each discount and that the code would differentiate between a fixed price contract, a  £x off, or % amount off.

EDIT - I've just one query, your thread heading says fixed price until January 23 but your posts indicate November 22. Double check the contract.

Most contracts are either for 12 or 18 months. If you renewed in August then to my mind if your contract is for 18 months then the fixed price would be until February, unless the contract length was for 18 months but the discount was only for 12 months then the increase would apply from August this year

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again,

Update: I think I understand what's happening now.

On the Money Saving Expert website, it explains the criteria for price increases: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/01/virgin-media-customers-to-hit-by-price-rises-from-mar...

The key sections "The price increase affects all UK cable customers – those with broadband, TV and fixed-line phone contracts – who signed up to their current contract with Virgin Media before 29 June 2020 who aren't considered 'vulnerable'. Vulnerable customers, which includes those on Virgin Media's new 'Essential' broadband package for people receiving universal credit, as well as 'Talk Protected' landline customers, are excluded from these prices increases."

Also, "For those customers on a fixed-price promotion, ie, who are still within the minimum term of their contract, the price change will take force once their promotional period ends. Those who are not within their minimum term, ie, those who are on a monthly rolling contract, will see their price change from 1 March 2021."

My contract renewed in May 2021 (it was modified in August 2021 - well spotted @newapollo) and so my bill will not be increased.

It's absurd that Customer Services at VM aren't able to clarify the criteria behind VM's price changes.