Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is this a record? Over 24 hours on whatsApp to virgin media

fushionjulz
On our wavelength

<quote>

Thanks for your response @fushionjulz.

Have the team got back to you yet on WhatsApp?

</quote>

Well...no, no response whatsoever from customer services.
However, given that the price increase was from 2nd March and I wasn't prepared to pay that and, indeed, wanted a better deal on my already overpriced package, I wrote a recorded delivery message to the CEO, copied by email and to CISAS. I also wrote a separate recorded delivery message to cancel my service with the required 30 day notice.

Perhaps, unsurprisingly, I got an email acknowledgement of my email and a complaint opened (even though I wasn't actually registering a complaint) within a few hours and a phone call from "the Executive Team" less than 48hrs later and the day after my letter was signed for.

Unfortunately, the Executive couldn't or wouldn't offer a better price...even though a new customer would have got a better deal...and I explained that I had already signed with a new provider...so only that deal (£23.95 for 100MB and phone plus £100 credit plus a compensation to cover the cost of the up-front payment to the new supplier) would tempt me to reconsider.Basically he apologised for poor service and for the poor deals/high price, but wasn't prepared to retain me as a customer.

23 REPLIES 23

fushionjulz
On our wavelength

@newapollo
Why, having left due to poor customer service, would you EVER want to return in any case?

@Kath_F
Virgin have been using the "phone lines are extremely busy at the moment" for years. It's a poor excuse in any case, there are auto dial-back services (such as Vodafone use) that avoid customers having to wait for ever and being endlessly cut-off. As a "communications" company, you would have thought that communication would be a strength, not the biggest weakness in the service!!

fushionjulz
On our wavelength

They would need to

a) offer AT LEAST the deal a new customer could have got when I was trying to call
b) guarantee a fixed price for the length of the contract
c) compensate me for the time and stress (and not a token gesture...I have wasted HOURS on this)
d) guarantee (with written financial penalties involved) that customer service will answer my call and/or return a call within a set timeframe (say 15mins)

Frankly, it is highly unlikely that they would offer that and, even if they did, I would have to believe them in order to cancel my new OpenReach installation and contract.
I'm actually looking forward to a new beginning with PlusNet

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @fushionjulz

Thank you for you post. I understand it is frustrating to see different deals offered to new customers. As with all providers, we do offer introductory deals to new customers, at the start of all of our customer’s time with us they will have benefited from such a deal. Once this expires we'll always do all we can to offer the best existing customer deal available. If you would like to discuss the options available to you please give us a call on 0345 454 1111 / 150 Option 1.

The postcode is to check if VM services are available in your area.

Kind regards,

Serena

.@Serena_C It is very easy to stop it being frustrating...Simply offer everyone the same deal. In fact, a good business practice is to offer loyal customers better prices as happens in (most) other industries.

Recently legislation was passed that came into effect last month to stop insurance companies charging existing customers more than new ones...I can see it only being a matter of time before similar is passed for other service providers.

But stop saying things that are simply untrue...you DO NOT try and offer better deals for customers and it is useless attempting to call the numbers provided as you just get put on hold and disconnected before any response is given. Now, on 150, that may be free, but it isn't on the 0345 number. Why do you not promote the free 0800 432 0200 number? At least then people are not charged for VMs lackluster customer service!

And...to add... A postcode check is not necessary AT ALL when the query page comes up with my name, account number and area code...So another untruth!
If you wanted to make it simple, offer a straightforward price, publish it on line, make it so that your customers (new or old) can upgrade, extend or join knowing the price up-front...The phone lines would immediately become quieter, cheaper to run, create less bad will and be easy to compare with other providers. Why be so opaque if there is nothing to hide?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the post code check is so VM can get an idea of what is available from other suppliers and so pitch their offerings accordingly.

Now is this 'right' or 'fair'? Absolutely irrelevant, let's be honest here, VM and their parent company are a commercial enterprise whose core purpose is to make money, just like every other business, down to a local market stall, is doing.

It is usually accepted (although, naturally VM, nor any other provider will give details) that VM make no money on 'new user' discounts, but instead use them as a sort of loss-leader, knowing that once signed up, most customers don't bother to switch at the end of the contact - and that's when they make their profit. And that is true of BT or Sky or TalkTalk - otherwise, why offer such discounts?

So if VM (or any other provider) know that in your area, there is little alternative, no FTTP, etc. then why should they offer you a good deal - they know you are not (well unlikely) to leave? And. frankly why not? I'd do exactly the same, if I were in their position, I'd want to screw every single penny I could out of you!

Realistically, It's called capitalism, or business - there really is no point railing against the unfairness of it, it is what it is - so play the game yourself!

Can you leave VM and find another alternative provider? Do you really (be honest) need the speed that VM provide, could you make do with a slower speed? Ultimately, how about moving house to an area with better and more competition with regard to broadband provision? 

Now I'm sorry if that sound a bit harsh, but it is the way the world works - don't like it, well sorry about that but......, play the game, decide what you want, who can provide it to you and at what cost? Are you OK with said cost, then fine - everyone's happy, otherwise adjust your requirements and look around?

@fushionjulz sorry but no, that's not the way the world works, offering 'loyal' (oh how much do I hate that term) customers better prices is a sure route to not being in business. If VM were to have a single price that everyone, new and existing customers, pay, they would immediately haemorrhage customers to the point, I expect they would be out of business fairly quickly.

Why, because anyone looking for a new provider or thinking of changing, never, ever looks at the small print just the initial 'sign-up' prices - and I'm sorry but that is just human nature. And if that is £20 a month cheaper at 'Rippoff Internet Services' (tiny print, introductory price only, cost will be 10 times higher after twelve months), who do you think people will sign up with? Regardless of what you think is right, your 'ethical' internet provider is bankrupt and out of business in a year!

@jem101

Of course that is why they do it...but it is fairly unlikely (given that VM have their own network and that is only in high population areas) that ADSL/Openreach lines won't also be available.

Once on Openreach, even though the headline speed may be less, the contention rates are also usually lower and you get the benefit of one-touch switching.

I just signed a new contract with PlusNet... 67MB advertised against Virgin's 100MB that I have. However, the *guarantee* a minimum of 48MB and the speed "range" is quoted as 54-76MB. I'm unaware of any similar guarantee from Virgin and, whilst the service is usually very god, there are times when the speed does drop dangerously close to that minimum guaranteed by PlusNet.

Of course, if after 18mths PlusNet want to increase the price and not offer another deal, I can literally click a button and get the service transferred to another OpenReach provider such as BT or TalkTalk (fro example...other providers are available!)

@fushionjulz fine, you have done exactly what you should and, indeed how the system expects you to work. I believe that VM's minimum speed guarantee is about 50% of the advertised headline speed, or you can leave without penalty if they don't fix it in a reasonable time.

However, as you have found, you now have a lot more options to change and switch in the future - even to come back to VM as a 'new customer' on advantageous terms.

John

@jem101...you're kidding,right? Insightful? nah....

If all companies did that the price would stabilise at the equilibrium between service and cost.

I'm already impressed with my new provider (PlusNet) and the service isn't even installed, yet. I didn't need to plead with them to get a good deal,it wasn't an super-cheap introductory offer...yes,the price does go up a little after 18 mths, but I'm free to leave on a one-touch transfer to another OpenReach provider...They answered the phone in seconds (not hours or days), there was no extended options menu and the UK based operative answered my questions promptly and efficiently.

To make a comparison: Airline fares...you can pay little and fly no-frills or a bit more and get a premium service. Or if you want, you can pay business or first prices and be treated like a king (or queen). However, you wouldn't find an airline charging premium fares and offering sub-standard service. They would be out-of business as soon as the plane lands (well figuratively speaking, at least)!
With Virgin, unfortunately, they want to charge premium prices, but offer little service to go with it. I can't really complain about the broadband service...it's pretty good on the whole...but the customer service has got to be one of the worst in the business!

And regards new and existing customers...A new customer costs a lot more to provide for than an existing one...there is the account side, the new equipment, the line installation, etc...plus the uncertainty if the payments are going to be maintained or if the customer will remain at the end of the initial contract...
An existing (for me 25+year) customer who has always paid his/her bill on time and already has a line and equipment is going to be cheaper to maintain than a new one....They also missed the opportunity to up-sell...If the offer had been good, who knows what I may have been tempted with!