cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Green Junction box removal request

Dariansk
Tuning in

Dear Katie

We would like our driveway front wall removed and driveway extended. However, there is VM small box just in a middle. Would it be possible to remove VM box or at least moved to the side and how much it would be? It is in 24 Woodbury Hill, Luton, LU2 7JP

Perhaps it would be free of charge once we would remove front wall and box would be standing in a middle of the pavement?

Please let me know your thoughts. 
Thank you 

Darius

28B76580-5238-4AE7-BDA5-44F84840EBDA.jpeg

DCE29DD1-DF62-4EAF-BC9D-AC87E16C8085.jpeg

8BCA83A7-1DB0-44DD-B067-12B9EFCA16C3.jpeg

41 REPLIES 41

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Dariansk, 

Thanks for your reply we will not have any updates on this end as this will be between you and our team. Hope all goes well for you 

Zoie

Thank you Zoie

I will wait for your team to come back to me. 

Hi,

Curious to know what was the final outcome for this? We have a junction box outside which is halfway through a hedge and we're planning to remove that and create parking space, so would like to know.

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thank you for joining.

I do not know the outcome of the original poster's query, however I can certainly find out for you if you'd like, so you have an idea of what would need to happen, along with the charges ect.

If you'd like me to raise a query for you, just let me know and we can take some details from you 🙂

Thanks

Beth

Beth

@varadvarad wrote:

Hi,

Curious to know what was the final outcome for this? We have a junction box outside which is halfway through a hedge and we're planning to remove that and create parking space, so would like to know.

Thanks

Daniel

Topics about moving cabinets and dropping pavements/kerbs over VM access covers have cropped up a lot on here recently. I have yet to read any actual quotes/costs on here for moving a cabinet (I am assuming that they seldom, or never, happen because of the cost).

By way of an indication on prices, and how VM might handle such a query, have a look at the topic below (which was simply in relation to dropping a kerb)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/VM-manhole-cover-in-new-drop-kerb/t...

Hi Beyh,

Can I get details of the outcome for this please?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adam3211 wrote:

Hi Beyh,

Can I get details of the outcome for this please?

I feel it unlikely you will. This thread is over 9 months old & well dormant.

VM cabinets are on a service strip. They have the necessary permits to be there, & were in most cases installed 30 years ago when the original networks were built. If you buy a property with VM or any other providers equipment situated on the boundary it is assumed that you are fully aware of the restrictions it’s presence may cause at that time or in the future.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

As a matter of record: General consensus in these forums is that moving cabinets is so costly that it never happens, but in the case this thread started, a Google Streetmaps search shows that it did indeed get moved and the OP was able to open up the front of the house as a full width driveway.  This included a full replacement of the pavement and full width drop kerb that would have been done by the council, full width block paving of the front of the property and a new boundary wall, all that would have been expensive as well so obviously the VM quote came in and was eye watering but the OP went ahead anyway.  Arguably the property is significantly improved by the work compared to how it was before, and I'd guess that even with the likely £3-10k cost of a cabinet move and the other costs, they'll have added that to the value of the property, as well as benefiting from easy access off road parking for up to three cars.

If it had been more cosmetic then the cost would probably have been much more difficult to justify, but if you're in similar circumstances, don't be put off by the naysayers!

Loulou1134
Joining in

Has anyone, ever successfully had a junction box moved?. Would love to know the cost. We have one right in the middle at the front  of our garden! . Big ugly thing, stopping us from making a driveway. Virgin has suggested we pay them 240 for a survey so they can access  moving and the cost. 

@Loulou1134 wrote:

Has anyone, ever successfully had a junction box moved?. Would love to know the cost. We have one right in the middle at the front  of our garden! . Big ugly thing, stopping us from making a driveway. Virgin has suggested we pay them 240 for a survey so they can access  moving and the cost. 

If you refer to post #38 above and the postcode on Google Streetview from #1 above, you can see that the box in this topic was moved

The survey fee of £240 is what is usually mentioned in this kind of topic. Some past topics mentioning prices have been lost in a forum clean-up so it is no longer possible to refer back to those.

From memory, 'simple' work such as dropping a kerb has been 4 figure sums quoted in the past. Other work has been 5 figure sums.

Here are some examples

A range of random prices in this topic for a kerb drop

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/VM-manhole-cover-in-new-drop-kerb/td-p/4144098

and message #11 onwards below for dropping a kerb £14k

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/CATV-cover-information-fro-dropped-kerb/td-p/4789...

Any cost you get from VM will be specific to the cabinet in question. VM has no interest in moving its cabinets so you can expect a 'don't want to do it' price. The work will very likely be sub-contracted out so each party will have its own mark-up within the price.

That said, in some parts of the country, a 4 or 5 figure price tag might actually be worth considering in terms of value-added to a property with a driveway in some controlled parking areas.

The only way you will find out will be to have the survey done and get a price for your particular project.