cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Gig1 "Not available in my area". Why ?

Cisco_engineer
Tuning in

Website checker says I can only get up to 350mbit max. 

Next door has 500mbit. What is going on here ?!?!

8 REPLIES 8

Cisco_engineer
Tuning in

Long story short, there's a deal I want. £40 for Gig1 for 18 months. So I text virgin media on whatsapp and say I want it (I'm on a deal that doesn't let me upgrade via the web for some bizarre reason). After much umming and ahhing the customer service agent comes back and says:

At the moment, the Gig1 Fibre isn't yet available on your area.

You can register your interest online at https://www.virginmedia.com/offers/gig1-register-my-interest

And we’ll be in touch as soon as we launch it in your area. Is that okay?

So why is my town (Bedford) without Gig1 service? We have DOCSIS3.1 showing on our modem. But more than this, Virgin Media had been trumpeting very loud that they had finished their DOCSIS3.1 rollout and that Gig1 is available across their entire network. So, was this a lie? 

Proof of VM claiming it's all done: 

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/gigabit   << which states 

"Our most powerful Gig1 broadband is now available across our whole network"

and:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/virgin-media-o2-completes-uk-gigabit-broadband-rollout...

So. VM themselves say it's available "across our whole network". Sales people tell me it's not available in my area. Which is it ? 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Cisco_engineer,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear 1GB isn't available in your are just now, you can register your interest here.

Regards

Paul.

lmao "here's the link you linked" 🤣

I suppose if just one property per cabinet can get that sweet 1gig then technically they're not lying when they tout "across our whole network!" 😂

so far today i've been told: 

• My area doesn't have it yet. 
  • Sorry the previous CS agent was wrong, it is available but no you can't have it for £40. 
  • Then when I asked to give notice I was put through to a third and final person who said no it's not available. 

sigh. 

Cowboys, if they keep up like this they're going to fall into obscurity now there's a bunch of competition in this field.

Hello Cisco_engineer.

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the 1Gb availability 
I can look into this for you and get a definite answer.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks but i've already given my notice. I'm not going to faff about with is it / isn't it available when there's gigabit FTTP from openreach available. 

We are very sorry to hear you will be leaving us Cisco_engineer. 

Please do get back in touch if you change your mind or require any further assistance in the future. 

Take care, 

Nat