cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I just cancel my direct debit?

mobyduck
On our wavelength

I spoke to an advisor oy phone early in October to give notice of closing my Virgin Media account and, as a result, was sent a returns package to facilitate the return of the router, hub and peripherals. A payment of £65 was taken from my bank account a few days ago, so , not knowing that this might not be in my best interests, I cancelled the direct debit. I am finding this very stressful (88 years old, and my wife is on palliative care) and wonder what my best course of action would be now?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your comment "little in the way of Virgin signal quality where we have moved to" could mean several things. Virgin Mobile isn't a network operator but uses O2 for network coverage, or do you mean that you're not now in a cable-serviced area?

Have you received your final bill as yet? When you say about not accessing anything except Freeview, do you mean free-to-air channels via your VM TV box, or do you mean Freeview as received through a terrestrial aerial?

Ultimately, if you've cancelled your DD before your services were disconnected, or receiving your final bill - then you could have issues. Perhaps best wait for one of the VM staff team to respond to this post in a couple of days, they may be able to ID your account - if your forum account is linked to your VM account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've added to an existing thread, it's often better to start your own fully explaining your circumstances - I've done it for you 🙂

Two pertinent questions to whether the DD cancellation was a good idea or not.. 1: Have your services been cancelled, 2: Have you received your final bill yet?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

mobyduck
On our wavelength

Hi, Japitts. Thanks for your response. Sorry about the 'adding' error. As for the services being cancelled, I have had no emails for about two weeks, now, and no access to anything but Freeview. By the way, I have moved about 130 miles away, and my daughter had advised me that there was very little in the way of Virgin signal quality where we have moved to, so that could be part of the problem, and this was the reason I gave for leaving them.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your comment "little in the way of Virgin signal quality where we have moved to" could mean several things. Virgin Mobile isn't a network operator but uses O2 for network coverage, or do you mean that you're not now in a cable-serviced area?

Have you received your final bill as yet? When you say about not accessing anything except Freeview, do you mean free-to-air channels via your VM TV box, or do you mean Freeview as received through a terrestrial aerial?

Ultimately, if you've cancelled your DD before your services were disconnected, or receiving your final bill - then you could have issues. Perhaps best wait for one of the VM staff team to respond to this post in a couple of days, they may be able to ID your account - if your forum account is linked to your VM account.

mobyduck
On our wavelength

Hello and thanks again for your input, Japitts. Very much appreciated. Would it be possible for me to re-activate the DD? Had I known what I know now, I would not have cancelled in the first place, but what's done is done, now, I suppose. I'll hang on a bit longer and see what transpires, as you suggest.

Hi mobyduck, 

Thanks for your post and it's great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. 

I think the best thing we can do here is take this in to a private conversation so we can pass data protection with you and take a look at the account state and we can go from there. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs