cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting to rejoin as new customer: how long do I need to wait?

icarus69
Tuning in

If I wanted to quit (following the recent notice regarding price changes) in order to rejoin as a new customer, how long would I need to have quit for before I am able to take advantage of new customer offers again?

Ideally I'd like to sign up as a new customer under my own name, however the other homeowner is also able and willing to sign up in their name instead (it's under my name currently) if this would be quicker).

9 REPLIES 9

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello icarus69

Thanks for posting in regards to leaving to return as a new customer, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

The timescale is usually 90 days but if there is someone else in the property who hasn't had Virgin Media prior or in the last 90 days they could sign up once the current account has been cancelled. They would need to speak to the team on 0800 183 1234.

Rob

Hi there,

When you say that the person who hasn't had the account under their name would need to call the team, why is that? Would the new person not be able to sign up to a new member offer online?

Thanks

Hi @icarus69,

A prospective customer can sign up for services via the website if they wish, yes. If they've been a Virgin Media customer in the past 90 days, however, then as my colleague has advised they may not be eligible for a new customer offer.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Gotcha. Just to clarify though, if the prospective customer has not had a plan before, but lives in the same household as someone who recently quit, would that be an issue with regards to registering as a new customer?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @icarus69 

If you currrently have a VM landline then you will lose your VM phone number when cancelling.

Also any VM, ntl, blueyonder email addresses will be deleted 90 days after leaving. They can't be transferred over to a new account.

Also in the unlikely event that there are capacity problems in your area then VM may not be taking on any new connections, or they may be unable to supply speeds above M350.

New equipment will be supplied so that will be a main 360 box and if a second TV box is needed it will be  a 360 mini box which doesn't have a hard drive.

(Tivo and V6 boxes are no longer supplied to new customers)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

unisoft
Well-informed

@icarus69 wrote:

If I wanted to quit (following the recent notice regarding price changes) in order to rejoin as a new customer, how long would I need to have quit for before I am able to take advantage of new customer offers again?

Ideally I'd like to sign up as a new customer under my own name, however the other homeowner is also able and willing to sign up in their name instead (it's under my name currently) if this would be quicker).

Retentions have always told me its 60 days of leaving to be classed as a new customer again. If its someone else's name at the address, then cancel  and sign up again should work. Many people done that on forums. You are best to let service cease and then sign up so you may have to tether or use a mobile dongle for a few weeks.

jimbe0
Joining in

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I believe it's either 3 or 4 months to be classed as a new customer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jimbe0 wrote:

This query seems to be a word-for-word copy of another user/topic which was asked and answered yesterday

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Quitting-to-rejoin-as-new-customer-...