cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query re Notice

budgie54
On our wavelength

If I give my 30 days notice on say 17 April - will I still have full use of services until 17 May?   I’m just wanting confirmation since I’ve heard of some folks losing all their services before the 30 days were up.

11 REPLIES 11

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There have been some horror stories of customers being cutoff early, but these are in error.

You give 30days notice of cancellation and have full use of your services until then. You are also billed until the point of disconnection, this produces a few queries on these boards, too.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

budgie54
On our wavelength
Thank you. That’s useful to know.

When I cancelled everything went smoothly, but the pre-cancellation emails about my next bill were as clear as mud and suggested I was going to be billed in full for the month after I left.  Cross your fingers and take any "next bill" emails with a pinch of salt.  

Hi budgie54 

Thank you for you post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving us.

We do require 30 days notice yes, you will have full use of the services during that 30 day notice period.

If you do have any further questions or concerns, please do pop back to us here and we would be happy to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

budgie54
On our wavelength
Thank you for that information. I will certainly do so. Actually think I will cancel my DD as soon as they have taken what I know to be the last payment. If they get in touch after that I’ll sort it out. Thanks for that warning

Hi budgie54 

We wouldn't recommend cancelling a direct debit before you have received the final bill. 

If you do pay for any services past the date of disconnection, this will be refunded to you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I'll second the forum staff: Don't cancel the DD until all the dust has settled, say a couple of months minimum.  Even if VM did something dreadful you can invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee with your bank and get any money back immediately, so there's no risk leaving it in place, but if you cancel the DD before the very final items are settled, when VM try and collect those it'll be treated as a late payment or default, and mess up your credit history (as well as incurring a late payment fee).  I'm two months post-VM and haven't cancelled the DD yet, although got the final credit refund of a few quid a couple of days back.  And make sure you keep the proof of posting when you return any VM equipment.  In the pretty unlikely but possible situation that they (or more likely Yodel) lose it, they'll be after you for the £40 or so non-returned equipment charge - again, better to let them take that by DD and dispute it formally at your leisure, than have a besmirched credit history. 

budgie54
On our wavelength

Thank you for that.  I will keep an eye on situation once I’ve given notice and take a note of the date that I should be billed to

Please do and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs