cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting in a fence

Licklesis
Tuning in

I am wanting to put a fence up between my front garden and my neighbours. I have started digging and it has exposed both mine and my neighbours virgin fibre cables and I’ve got a lot more digging to do. I had an engineer come out to re-bury the cable and he said he couldn’t and I had to dig it all out and expose the cable myself then have a new cable fitted. Is this correct? I’m very worried about digging around this cable and I was hoping to not affect my neighbours but the cables are only about 6cm under the garden and very close together and not protected in any way. What should I do?

23 REPLIES 23

I would like to know if I should be digging up mine and my neighbours cables

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks @Licklesis

Sorry for the confusion caused here. From looking at the pictures, the cable is still predominately buried at the required depth and does not pose any H&S risks as it is which is why the technician may have advised that a full rebury could not be done.

When checking your account the work was closed as completed so I will pop a quick email to the technician to gain some more information for you and we'll go from there.

Please do not dig up your cables or your neighbours cables.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

thank you

the technician that came out was rather rude and didn't really listen to me. I told him the level of the garden will be lower to level it and he said they would need to replace the cable as it's not long enough and they would only do this once the garden is at the required level so i needed to dig around the cable and expose it before they would do anything. He didn't think my neighbours cable would be affected but I haven't dug much and it's showing already.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

You are welcome @Licklesis.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry for that @Licklesis.

Once I have got a response from the area field manager I will be able to raise this about the engineer.

Please do not do anymore digging until we know what can be done.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

I won't, Thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello 🙂

I have an update from the area field manager, this is what has been said:

''I could only suggest that the customer carefully pulls up the duct/cable and then they can dig where they need to? There should be some slack on it as its underground and looks like a foot or 2 going up the wall into the omni. They would need to work around this and then they should be able to bury it again once they are ready?''

If you struggle burying it your self then we can help 🙂 But would be better to place it back down as your work.

Hope this helps,

Thanks.

Hayley
Forum Team

so i do need to dig it up and work around it and hope i don't damage it, I wont be able to bury it again, like i said the garden is going down about a foot in the middle to level it and there isn't enough cable to re-bury it at that level as its only a couple of inches underground now.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Do the work that needs to be done @Licklesis and if you need our help to rebury it let me know.

Then I can arrange for this to be done, but do try the duct tape to cover the wire and protect it while you are working.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team