Menu
Bemak187
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Project Lightning - Missed Houses

Hoping I can get a bit of help/info. My area (actually most of my town) is being cabled as part of Project Lightning. We all got letters through telling us Virgin was coming etc which sounded great. Last week there was an information event ran by virgin in the local community centre at which I was told 2 new build estates in the area won’t be getting done and surprise surprise mine is one of those. Basically everywhere else is getting done, other new build estates right across the main road are being done, everywhere else. The reason we were given is that my estate and the one behind have not been adopted by the local authority yet (some of these houses have been here for 6 or 7 years but I know there was some disputes which local authority they should fall under as right on the boundary but this has now been resolved). What I am trying to establish is who made this call was it virgin or the home builder who blocked the install. I will not be happy with the builder if it was them. Secondly is that us basically missed our chance and won’t get done now or will there be any hope of virgin coming back and cabling at a later date since the whole area was supposed to be done as part of network expansion? Somehow I have a feeling this won’t happen but was hoping someone from virgin on the forum could maybe check for me?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Project Lightning - Missed Houses

Someone from the forum team will follow this up, but agreements to install the infrastructure are down to agreements with the builders for new estates or the local authorities where roads have become adopted.

A lot of builders now impose "no dig" agreements on new estates that prevent all and sundry coming along & digging up their shiny new tarmac for a set number of years.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Bemak187
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I had actually considered that myself that it could be down to the house builder not wanting the roads dug up. However one of the estates being done across the road is almost the exact same age and is the same builder.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

At the very least if it was just finished and wasn’t already on the plans to be done, you are loOking at very late 2019/2020 at the earliest as VMs build schedules are full for 2018 and majority of 2019.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Bemak187
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. We initially got letters through the door about 6 weeks back. The work has actually only just started about 2 weeks ago. The cabinets started appearing last week in the other estates and there were actually virgin contractors round my estate looking about a few times. As far as everyone knew it was all going ahead and they had just started with the estates across the road and would get to us next. Next thing I know at the community event we were informed of a list of streets that now won’t be getting cabled. The list constituted the 2 new estates on one side of the road while the 2 new estates (and the rest of the town was all going ahead as planned). The official reason given was that the house builder (Bellway) still “owned” the streets and they hadn’t been adopted by the local authority. A lot of people were really surprised and pretty annoyed as until last week it was assumed we were getting cabled. The thing that I couldn’t really understand is that not all the houses being missed are Bellway, some are another builder so this reason doesn’t add up. I might just be assuming but it seems like a last minute change of plan which suggests it’s something to do with access/permissions.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bemak187

I can follow this up for you but it would be worth speaking to the builders too as they would inform you if they have imposed this restriction.

I can't see it being us to be honest based on what you have said if everywhere else is being cabled Smiley Sad

However, if you can pop me the following I'll look into it.

• Your name
  • Your full address
  • The developers name
  • The development name
  • Your contact number

I can email them for you.

To PM* me, simply:

• Click on my forum PM link Karen_A

Many thanks

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Bemak187
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Karen.

I have sent you over a PM with the requested details.

0 Kudos
Bemak187
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen.

I was wondering if you had had a chance to check this out for me yet?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hey Bemak187

My apologies yes I have emailed the teams for you but had not reply back yet.

I'll chase again today and I expect to hear back by the time I return next week on Thursday.

Catch you then!

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bemak187

The teams are linking up with the Local Council to see if the road is adopted and if sothey are looking to potentially add this to our list of proposals.

I have sent a chaser for an update.

Kind regards.

Forum Team

0 Kudos