Menu
Kay6
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Problem with refund

Hi all, Some advice please re failure to action a request. I requested termination of my account in Nov 2ac but this was not actioned. Virgin refuse to take responsibility for this and just say its my fault if they kept taking payments. They had at one point said they would refund the extra payments that they had taken but have now said they won't. What can I do?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with refund

Hi Kay6,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry for hear there has been some confusion over the termination of your account, and I can appreciate that you want to find out exactly what has happened.

Was the cancellation actioned in November and the services stopped working? 

Let me know and I can help further.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Kay6
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I telephoned in November and cancelled. I had to give 30 days notice and I had Sky installed in mid December so I no longer used the service after that although presumably it would have been active for the 30 days although I don’t know for sure. My problem is that Virgin continued to take monthly Direct debits from my account for a further 4 months! In March when this came to light I telephoned Virgin and after much hassle they agreed to refund me for the error. I have been waiting patiently for that to happen. Yesterday I called to see what was happening and was told I will not be getting any refund at all. Virgins failure to cancel the contract is my fault apparently, as is the fact that they continued to take the direct debits....unbelievable ! We are talking about £450, so not a trivial sum

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So sorry for any confusion over this Kay6.

I'll need a few details from you so I can take a closer look. I've popped you over a private message, this will be the little purple envelope in the top right hand corner.

Get back to me when you can.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Kay6
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I have sent the details as requested in your PM.

Just an update for those following this who may have a similar issue.

i instructed my bank to invoke the direct debit guarantee and start the process of refunding me for monies taken when no service was provided. Virgin called me today to tell me my account is in arrears and will now attract charges....presumably the bank has clawed the money back now.

‘Virgin have said they have issued a deadlock letter on the 24th May, I haven’t received it yet. They did also say that they will look at it again and see what can be done and I need to wait 7 or 8 more days.....odd as by definition deadlock means no longer wishing to communicate and the matter is closed, hey ho!

0 Kudos
Kay6
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Quick update,,

Alex has looked at my account and says that no refund is due.

Very fed up now so will outline what happened 

End of Nov 18 called Virgin to cancel contract. After over an hour on the phone and the usual incentives to stay ( upgrade to VIP account and a ~ 50% reduction in my monthly bill) I still said I wanted to leave. Apparently this request was not actioned. Same day took out a new contract with Sky

March 19 call from Virgin to arrange date to upgrade my box. Explained I was no longer a customer so there must be a mistake. Lady put me on hold and checked - came back and confirmed my account was still active. Checked my bank account and payments still being taken. Called Virgin (numerous holds, cut offs and transfers to other people) and after a lot of effort finally managed to get some help and was told I would get a refund for the extra payments taken. After some amount of time stewing this over I decided I needed to get this confirmed in writing. Opened a web chat  (these are recorded) refund duly confirmed, cheque to be issued for some £450.

Wait and wait for cheque, nothing received. Called 24th May to chase.........(lots of waiting and being transferred).told no refund due as no record of cancellation request. Losing the plot somewhat now.

So,long and short of it is that I must be wrong, it’s simply not possible that Virgin failed to make the correct notes on the account. 

I am a financial wizard... I shall have two subscriptions with different suppliers running at the same time, brilliant idea. Just to prove my financial genius to you I will point out that I also didn’t take 50% reduction Virgin offered when I just called in Nov for a little chat.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well he is technically right, since your bank has reversed the DD payments by own admission 2 posts up, thus VM doesn't owe you anything now.

Although I hope Alex has sorted out the other aspects and to make it clear on the system they use that this is what happened and it was in error that you were charged after cancellation.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Kay6
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DABhand,

Yes, that’s correct, my bank has reversed the direct debit, Which would solve it but now I’m told that my account is in arrears for the whole amount and will attract charges until I pay it. Presumably this is going to affect my credit rating etc, etc. So, no where near solved at the moment.

Surely VM have a way to tell that I didn’t actually use the telephone, broadband or watch any of the TV channels ? 

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Should be notes on your account of when you called in when you gave 30 days notice. They should be able to see this.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Kay6
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DABhand,

VM do acknowledge I called cancellations/retentions on the 24 November. Their notes also confirm I was offered a VIP account and a discount of around 50% on my monthly bills and that I did not take this offer. However, they say there is no note of cancellation. VM also acknowledge their notes show a record of my new provider contacting them 3rd December.

Given that the notes seem a little conflicting ( didn’t take the offer and didn’t cancel and evidence of having left) you would think they would listen to the call record.......but no

0 Kudos