cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prices for existing customers

wrayal
Joining in

For the last 18 months, I have been on Gig1 + Maxit + SkySports HD at £138 pcm.

Found I didn't use TV as much as I expected, wanted to downgrade to M300, no TV - they asked £62pcm

But for a new customer, Gig1 is £40pcm - three times the speed for 2/3 the price!!

Can I cancel and re-subscribe as a new customer? Can my partner subscribe as a new customer? The other option is I just leave - there's no way I'm paying this much over the odds, but customer service didn't offer me any other option.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Opinions vary on disconnecting & reconnecting, but being without service for 30-90 days seems to be a general rule. Certainly all your equipment will be associated with your old account and need to be returned to avoid non-return charges.

You'll then get new kit for the new account.

If you decide to choose another provider, then give your notice and play the retentions lottery. You may get an offer from outbound retentions, you may not - if you do, then it needs to be accepted immediately it's offered. If you don't, make sure your alternative supplier is inplace.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So essentially they are counting on the fact that it's a pain to renew/switch, and exploiting customers accordingly. Nice work guys.

Does anyone know any suppliers who are known to be better about this? When I switch, it would be nice to have a supplier I can stay with!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@wrayal wrote:

So essentially they are counting on the fact that it's a pain to renew/switch, and exploiting customers accordingly. Nice work guys.

Does anyone know any suppliers who are known to be better about this? When I switch, it would be nice to have a supplier I can stay with!

Smaller ISPs don't play the "massive discount, followed by massive price" game, and many offer much better customer service, and that's why I've taken my business to Aquiss.  IDnet, uno, AAISP, CIX are similarly rated for customer service, or there's Zen Internet who hold a middle ground position between them and the large ISPs amongst whom there's not much to choose.  If cost is more important than customer service, then you're probably looking to take up the cheapest new customer offer from a large ISP, and then switch if they won't readily renew at a good price when your fixed term ends.  Note as well the inflation plus increases now built in by most of the larger ISPs - that'll increase the price next April without you being able to cancel or renegotiate, leaving you paying a wacking great increase for another 5-6 months of an 18 month contract (or a year, for anybody daft enough to sign a two year deal).

However, if you want to buy a TV package, then there's not many to choose from, and most offer bundled internet with that.  You might consider a smaller ISP and a Sky TV package?  There's a good discussion of your choices over at ISP Review, although the article was written before this year's price increase round hit.  This post in the VM forum may be worth a read as well.