cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price rise email

Jon-J
On our wavelength

I'll apologise now for the muddled post.

I recently received an email about VM prices going up in March, but also said that I could "change or cancel your package at any time before 15/02/2022, without paying any cancellation fees", and my current package ends this summer.

My current package is the Bigger Bundle - M500 broadband + Maxit TV + Talk Weekends for £85.00 (but going up in March). However, after the email I looked and found the Ultimate Volt package, which looked interesting - Gig1 broadband + Maxit TV + Talk More Anytime + O2 mobile SIM - for £89.99pm - but this is for new customers only. I then looked at comparable packages from other ISPs, including BT's Full Fibre 900 and TV (that would also come with a £50 referral bonus from a relative).

I wanted to get some more details on what kind of options I had if changing or cancelling my current package. Unfortunately, I couldn't even get in to my VM account after a number of attempts as VM were doing maintenance on the site.

I try to avoid calling generally since I'm quite poor with telephone conversations, as both my hearing and comprehension aren't great. Add the foreign accent of an agent in overseas call centre and this can be an utterly excruciating experience and a complete waste of time. As such, I first tried VM chat, but found their scripted Q&A frustrating as it didn't seem to be able to answer the questions I had about cancellations and the Ultimate Volt package. I ended the chat session after going around in circles a few times.

Although I didn't want to, I did attempt a call to VM, to see if they could give me straight info about cancellations in general, and the Ultimate Volt package in particular. As expected, this didn't go well, as got an overseas call centre and simply wound up more confused than ever.

Would it be possible to cancel my current package, and order to the Ultimate Volt package currently on sale? Or, would it be possible to cancel my current package AND my VM account, then order Ultimate Volt package as a new customer?

If neither of these is a viable option, what is a reasonable way forward - stay with VM and see if Ultimate Volt is available, or cancel package and account altogether and reapply as a new customer, or simply leave and go with something from BT? Also, is there a better way to contact VM other than going through an overseas call centre, or regimented chat? Any advice on any of this would be appreciated.

If you made it this far, I apologise once more for the muddled post.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jon-J 

The best way to canel or regrade is unfortunately via telephone.

All calls go into the same queue and the first available agent answers the call. irrespective of where they are based.

Calls to retentions( thinking of leaving us) can deal with cancellations and regrades and are generally manned by UK based agents, however your call may be picked up by offshore before transferring you throuhgh to that department.

The Ultimate Volt pricing advertised is as you indicated only for new customers which you won't qualify for unless you leave for at least 3 months.

The new customer pricing is broken down into £25 per month for the O2 payable to O2 and £64 per month payable to Virgin for the TV, landline and broadband

The out of contract price is currently £25 per month for the O2 sim, and £136 per month payable to Virgin for the TV, landline and broadband

By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. Have some figures for other providers handy too to use as a negotiating weapon.

If you decide to go ahead with that then as suggested above speak to Retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Jon-J 

The best way to canel or regrade is unfortunately via telephone.

All calls go into the same queue and the first available agent answers the call. irrespective of where they are based.

Calls to retentions( thinking of leaving us) can deal with cancellations and regrades and are generally manned by UK based agents, however your call may be picked up by offshore before transferring you throuhgh to that department.

The Ultimate Volt pricing advertised is as you indicated only for new customers which you won't qualify for unless you leave for at least 3 months.

The new customer pricing is broken down into £25 per month for the O2 payable to O2 and £64 per month payable to Virgin for the TV, landline and broadband

The out of contract price is currently £25 per month for the O2 sim, and £136 per month payable to Virgin for the TV, landline and broadband

By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. Have some figures for other providers handy too to use as a negotiating weapon.

If you decide to go ahead with that then as suggested above speak to Retentions (thinking of leaving us)

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Jon-J
On our wavelength

Thank you for this. Quick and to the point.

Looks like I'll have to give Retentions a ring. If I get through to an overseas call centre, though, can I ask to be put through to Retentions, or should I simply end the call and retry? Asking for a friend.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per your original post you are free to cancel without any exit fees before 15/02/2022, however if yuo don't cancel before that date then you will have the quoted price increase added to your bill on 1st March. 

If you continue as you are then once you are out of contract in the Summer your bill would increase again to the out of contract price but you will still be free to negotiate a new deal with either regrades or retentions (remember retentions have more leeway for better deals)

As to site maintenance, there have been a few issues recently and it's best to try different browers if yoo keep seeing error messages.

When (or if) you manage to log into your online account there may be the option of online chat (dependant on calls queues, as calls take priority) but this will probablybe  regrades and not retentions.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Jon-J
On our wavelength

Cheers. I'll try to give Retentions a call tomorrow.

Jon 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jon-J wrote:

Looks like I'll have to give Retentions a ring. If I get through to an overseas call centre, though, can I ask to be put through to Retentions, or should I simply end the call and retry? Asking for a friend.

I would ask to speak to retentions (it should be options 1,1,4 and 4) otherwise if you call again you restart at the back of the queue

EDIT best time to call is 8am when lines first open

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Jon-J wrote:

as far as i know only UK retentions can handle cancellations - that certainly used to be the case so 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

if you get offshore simply say you want to give 30 days notice - that should you transferred to the UK - offshore may huff and puff and try to talk you round or upsell you but simply hold your line and [hopefully] you should get to someone in wales or scotland or few other UK call centres - just change your tack about 30 days notice and ask what you want and go from there

if offshore want to deal with it or refuse to transfer you hang up and start again

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Jon-J
On our wavelength

I'm going to have to make some notes before calling them. I'm just wondering what a reasonable price would be for Gig1 + Maxit TV, I honestly could care less about a landline, and a decent SIM was a bonus, but I understand that it might be cheaper having these included in a bundle. I'll have to have a good look at BT's offerings beforehand, just to get a better idea about anything similar.

Thanks for the advice.

Jon