Menu
robbiejormerod
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price rise dissatisfaction

So I've just cancelled my virgin media services due to the price increase and poor tech virgin offer, very slow tivo box, new wifi app only being available on iOS ect.

After 5 minutes of trying to be being persuaded to stay I informed the operator that I did not have time to discuss the matter and that I would appreciate it if he could just action the cancellation. To which he responded "fine then" rattled off what would happen next then slammed the phone down. So we can add very poor customer service to virgins list of faults.

Jenonnet
Dialled in
Message 32 of 86
Flag for a moderator

That doesn't bode well for those trying to get a better deal than does it!  It's about time Virgin Media sorted their customer service out I think!!  Don't they realise they're losing loads of customers because people don't appreciate being treated that way.... or don't they care?!  Think maybe they're making so much profit anyway that they don't have to bother about decent customer service!  What a pity it's come to this, sign of the times unfortunately.

DABhand
Super solver
Message 33 of 86
Flag for a moderator

The problem with customer services is the volume of people, it is a high turn around of staff, so you may end up with someone new or experienced.

Experienced staff will know how to handle callers of all types, some may be upset due to a loss in the family etc so they will know to be empathetic and not sympathetic, for angry callers and they do exist they know to be understanding and patient, and so on.

Newer staff, who have no real experience elsewhere in regards to working on the phone will easily be drawn into a slanging match or get upset easier.

However even experienced staff may at times get a bit louder to the customer, as there is always a guaranteed at least 2 or 3 times a month you get a customer calling in (no matter who you work for - I have had it while at Sky, John Lewis, Argos and recently First Direct) who just want to shout and rattle off without listening. And can be very abusive against the advisor, in most cases verbally assaulting them with poor language and choice words.

Advisors are allowed to advise those types of customer even with a raised voice of their own, to ask them to understand that you will terminate the call if the abuse continues. And they can, some people don't think they can but they can.

The one thing most customers forget is, the advisors are people, it is easy for them to call in and relate to the person on the other end of the phone is the company.. but they work for the company. And in times that gets people angry at the people when they don't have to be.

Majide!
Womble2
Tuning in
Message 34 of 86
Flag for a moderator

That's why Virgin should provide an email address and then customers' complaints can be dealt with unemotionally and by a member of staff with appropriate experience!
ian-c
Rising star
Message 35 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Up until July 29th there was an email system in place... in the form of an online complaints form accessed from the 'contact us' page.

The powers that be at Virgin Media saw fit to remove it and replace it with an online chat service that is frequently unavailable with the following message: All of our agents are currently busy. Please try again later

online form1.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer since June 1994
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA
Contention reference "F002896495", - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening. Ongoing since March 2014.
After some network upgrading, fault reference became F004952644 with some improvement to evening speeds.
18 review dates. Last review February 2019
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 36 of 86
Flag for a moderator

@ian-c wrote:

Virgin price changes: in full

Line rentalCurrent pricePrice from 1 NovIncrease
Monthly line rental£17.99/mth£19/mth£1.01/mth
Line Rental Saver£184/yr£196/yr£12/yr
Package (1)Current pricePrice from 1 NovIncrease
Broadband only (all speeds)£30.25/mth – £43.25/mth £33.24/mth – £46.24/mth £2.99/mth
Broadband and phone (all speeds)£36.99/mth – £49.99/mth£40.48/mth – £53.48/mth£3.49/mth
Big Easy – b'band, phone, 60+ channels£41.99/mth£45.48/mth£3.49/mth
Big Bang – b'band, phone, 130+ channels£51.99/mth£55.48/mth£3.49/mth
Big Kahuna – b'band, phone, 230+ channels  £72.99/mth£76.48/mth£3.49/mth

Ignoring line mental(sic) charge, Big Easy (now Player) was £24 now £26, so only £3.01 increase.

Big Easy – b'band, phone, 60+ channels£41.99/mth£45.00/mth£3.01/mth

arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 37 of 86
Flag for a moderator

@gravy1 wrote:

To be honest, I really like VM, apart from a couple of outages and a few dramatic but very short term speed drops, the broadband service has been great.

The line rental is a bit of a killer.

I like VM, it's just seems expensive for what you get.  Now I have other means of getting sports.movies and Sky Atlantic, the TV service is down to bare bones. 

The line mental(sic) charge is madness.  I know some operators like Vodafone are getting shot of it, but the reality is they just add it to the broadband cost. I don't understand why it has to be £19/month with nothing added.  If nothing else, there should be a 100 minute national local and mobile calls allowance.  When you can get a SIM for £4/month with 250 anytime minutes, 1000s of texts and 250MB data, paying £19/month for nothing is crazy.    With 4G speeds approaching 20 mbps and only costing £23/month for unlimited data/texts I foresee a time in the not too distant future when people strip out all the cables and wires.  In the end, the line rental will have to be free.

ian-c
Rising star
Message 38 of 86
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@gravy1 wrote:

To be honest, I really like VM, apart from a couple of outages and a few dramatic but very short term speed drops, the broadband service has been great.

The line rental is a bit of a killer. 

I like VM, it's just seems expensive for what you get.  Now I have other means of getting sports.movies and Sky Atlantic, the TV service is down to bare bones. 

The line mental(sic) charge is madness.  I know some operators like Vodafone are getting shot of it, but the reality is they just add it to the broadband cost. I don't understand why it has to be £19/month with nothing added.  If nothing else, there should be a 100 minute national local and mobile calls allowance.  When you can get a SIM for £4/month with 250 anytime minutes, 1000s of texts and 250MB data, paying £19/month for nothing is crazy.    With 4G speeds approaching 20 mbps and only costing £23/month for unlimited data/texts I foresee a time in the not too distant future when people strip out all the cables and wires.  In the end, the line rental will have to be free.

Vodafone isn't getting shot of it, they are simply jumping before being pushed by the new Advertising Standards Authority rules.

From October 2016 ASA new rules state that Communications Providers (CP's) must:

• Show all-inclusive, upfront and monthly costs, with no separating out of line rental prices
  • Give greater prominence to the contract length and any post-discount pricing
  • Give greater prominence to upfront costs

TalkTalk said it would "lead the way" and called on other providers to make sure that people were not lulled into "seemingly good deals that all too often mask extra charges".

Line rental is a good money spinner for VM. Unlike ASDL, you do not need the landline for your broadband connection. It is so easy to hide it in small print.

Not for much longer.

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer since June 1994
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA
Contention reference "F002896495", - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening. Ongoing since March 2014.
After some network upgrading, fault reference became F004952644 with some improvement to evening speeds.
18 review dates. Last review February 2019
gravy1
Fibre optic
Message 39 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree. Many years ago, businesses appreciated long standing customers and rewarded loyalty, nowadays anyone who doesn't jump from company to company as soon as they are able are simply thought of as foolish cattle (perhaps cash cows might be more appropriate 😉 ). As a surge of new customers come in, it is inevitable that their deals must be paid for by others via increases. I would rather there were NO "new customer deals" just transparent honesty. It would stabilise the existing customers because nothing hurts more than being loyal and getting taken for granted. Abolish line rental. Make ALL bundles available to ALL customers so that when a contract ends people can just pick a different deal without changing ISP's (or being financially penalised for being an existing customer). It's only these ridiculous bragging rights over new customer figures that makes ISP's alienate existing customers.

As soon as one ISP states clear bundle prices whether they are for new or existing out-of-contract customers and promises no increase for the duration of the contract, they will encourage more people to sign a new contract.

Beanz
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I pay my line rental up front (even though we never use the landline but its only a slight difference to paying BB on its own) and have had a big increase in that this year, but now get charged an extra 50p compared to broadband alone so effectively on this bundle i've had 2 increases in the year AND an increase in the line rental saver. They really do get as much out of you as they can knowing that the alternatives for BB are very limited - even moreso when i've got a fairly stable connection which being unlimited makes it easier when downloading console games etc so don't really want to move but the effective cost of about £35 / month when i'm just using the BB is a lot...
Is there a BB level below the 70mb i'm on as if so when i phone to whinge about the price increase i'll ask to be dropped to that.