cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price hikes 2023 - do we still need to give 30 days notice?

infh2
Tuning in

The letter notifying us of the price increase states we need to cancel before 14th March if we want to do so without penalties but can we leave with immediate effect or do we still have to give 30 days notice? Trying to avoid another unnecessary monthly payment. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi infh2 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I can confirm that the advice given by your fantastic fellow community members, is correct. We do still require 30 days' notice to cancel your services.  The right to cancel without termination fees in regard to any price increase, we announce is exactly that.  Sorry for any confusion.

Regards

Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Dinger
Dialled in

I have had no notification at all from Virgin Media about upcoming rises.

I'm sure you'll get one at some point 😞

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

30 days notice is still required, and during that time there's a good chance that you'll get increasingly competitive offers to stay.  If you choose to stay, make sure that you're getting the same sort of cheap deals offered to new customers, and factor in to your plans the April 2024 price rise of circa 20% that you won't be able to refuse or negotiate on.

Thanks. I thought as much. We've been offered a fabulous deal elsewhere but would prefer to wait till that's installed before cancelling Virgin but don't want to pay for both for a month.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@infh2 wrote:
Thanks. I thought as much. We've been offered a fabulous deal elsewhere but would prefer to wait till that's installed before cancelling Virgin but don't want to pay for both for a month.

Overlapping does cost, it can make sense.  If it's just reactivating a not-so-old Openreach line then you might take a reasonable risk, if the line's really old, or you're having a new FTTP connection made then probably better to pay for a month or so's overlap.  I had an OR FTTP install, done on the due date, when they left it was working, but there was stress fracture at the splice in the connection box at the house, and the new connection went down after 48 hours or so.  ISP and OR were prompt enough to fix, but was still a couple of days - as I'd not then cancelled VM this didn't cause any problem, and I reckoned that the decision to pay for a four week overlap was good value.  YMMV.

Thanks for that. Yeah maybe I'll overlap by a week then, that could work......or just bite the bullet and go for a month. As you say, play safe....

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The other option is to experiment now and see if you can survive for a short while by hotspotting off a mobile phone if things go wrong.  I've done that for a couple of days last year when my VM connection went down.  Subject to data allowances that can be free and keep you online, although it usually won't support gaming or downloading huge files very well. 

Yeah not sure my gaming-mad kids would be too impressed with that one! 😂

Hi infh2 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I can confirm that the advice given by your fantastic fellow community members, is correct. We do still require 30 days' notice to cancel your services.  The right to cancel without termination fees in regard to any price increase, we announce is exactly that.  Sorry for any confusion.

Regards

Lee_R