cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Hike

padcontrol
Dialled in

Hi,

So I received the lovely price rise email a few days ago of £8.50 on top of my current ultimate oomph package (£92.90).

Previously I switched from an existing package  to the ultimate oomph as an existing customer even though it stated it's for 'new' customers only. The phone representative at the time said that's not true, new AND existing customers are eligible. So that was perfect.

I decided to ring VM and see what the best offer I could get. Looking at a straight package swap would be going from the ultimate oomph to the new ultimate volt which is currently going for £89. And nope, I was told this time new customers only (which occurring to last time sounds like bull to me) and the best price they could do was £115/month which is ridiculous.

I have been a virgin customer for 20 years+, I really don't want to leave but was hoping for a price closer to what I'm paying at the very least.

Is there anyone that can help here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When I upgraded to the ultimate oomph as an existing customer I felt like I was treated as a loyal customer since it was apparently only for new customers.

This time however not so much. I will try and ring retentions team again tomorrow and see if I can negotiate further and get a second opinion.

Sadly in my area the only decent broadband service I can get is from virgin media. Whereas a family member in the same city has gigabit fibre from another provider and much cheaper.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forum staff don't do package change queries I'm afraid..

When did you switch to Ultimate Oomph, presumably you're within your minimum term at the moment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

I got the ultimate oomph December 2020 AFAIK.

The email states 'If you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 15/02/2022'. So I'm going to assume my minimum term here does not matter as the contract is no longer valid due to VM increasing the price.

Hi padcontrol, 

Changing prices is never an easy decision, but as service usage has increased over the last 24 months we have to continuously re-invest in our network. Doing so permits more people to enjoy our services and meet the demand to continuously deliver the fastest widely-available speeds in the UK.

If you get in touch with the team, they'll be happy to take a look at your billing and package to see what can be done to help. You can find and access all of our available contact options, including live chat, here: virg.in/VMcontact

Regards

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi,

I already have via telephone. I chat to the retentions team and the best they offered me was £115/month for the ultimate volt.

So 'new customers' are getting the same deal for £89, and I am currently paying £92.90 for the ultimate oomph. The price difference is ridiculous that I have been offered. What I find more amusing is I upgraded to the ultimate oomph as an existing customer and had no issues then. I was still under contract at the time as well with virgin. So what's the issue currently?

Would love some advice.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you're prepared to pay the price offered, then callback and see if it's still available.

If you're not, then start pricing up alternative suppliers with a view to giving 30days notice.

Then you'll need to make decision whether to request disconnection and order with your new supplier, or accept VM's best offer.

If you choose to disconnect, then make sure you're happy with your new provider before VM is cancelled.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PaulBurge55
Tuning in
Interestingly I got an e-mail from SKY with regards to my pricing. As I coming to the end of my current contract, they are actually putting my price DOWN.

Each year so far SKY have either given me more for the same or this year actually reduced the price.

Why cant Virginmedia do this for their loyal customers

When I upgraded to the ultimate oomph as an existing customer I felt like I was treated as a loyal customer since it was apparently only for new customers.

This time however not so much. I will try and ring retentions team again tomorrow and see if I can negotiate further and get a second opinion.

Sadly in my area the only decent broadband service I can get is from virgin media. Whereas a family member in the same city has gigabit fibre from another provider and much cheaper.

AMCG
On our wavelength

Hello padcontrol, I've got the same problem, the email says you can "cancel or change package". The last time there was a price increase I phoned customer retention they said,

No changing package unless it's to a more expensive one. 

Any advertised package prices were for new customers only.

No price fixing unless to a more expensive package.

Eventually the best deal I got was a slight price reduction I have been thinking of cancelling ever since. please post how you get on,  that will influence my next step. Best of luck

Hi,

So my contract was up and I have now changed my package from the ultimate oomph to ultimate volt.

I am paying more for what I was previously by a little bit so still not what I wanted, but the added Netflix to the package swung it for me.

Got rid of my SIM only virgin and Netflix that I was paying for and that saved me ~£25 a month. Only downside to the Netflix package is it's only standard. So less screens and no 4k. However, for an extra £5 a month you can upgrade to premium. Much better than buying seperately.