cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number from BT

streetpreache47
Joining in

As part of the set up for my mother in law, I requested that the BT landline number is ported over.  This was in December

On setup it said to wait for up to 10 days for this to occur, this did not happen.  I have logged a request through the WhatsApp BOT on 14th Jan who said that this would be "prioritised ASAP".  This again had no progress and I spoke to them on the phone on 20th January who said they couldn't see a request and had raised a "ticket" for it to be done in the "next 14 working days"

Checking progress on the today, no one can see a request, and that I should speak to BT to cancel a "works order" (but apparently virgin have not requested anything from BT so this cannot be the case.

I am desperately trying to sort this and the call centres you employ are not interested in helping and often just want you to finish on the phone without answering the question.  The phone line is required as an emergency so any help is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to make sure correct procedure was followed.

Porting numbers to Virgin, being a separate network with separate exchanges, is a new provider led change.

You call Virgin & request the number port change. Virgin then contact your old provider & arrange the port date as well as the cancellation of your old providers contract. You play no part in this as it is all Virgins remit.

A lot of porting problems are caused when customers assume the process is the same as porting mobile numbers & to other providers using the same exchange. In this processs you contact your existing provider to give notice to cancel.

New provider led changes mean that Virgin is in charge of the notice & cancellation process. So if you contact your old provider & give notice in this situation, it will block any porting request by Virgin from going through, as the line is marked as a customer disconnection & not a port out.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @streetpreache47,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that there's some issues regarding a landline port for your mother-in-law. I can see that @nodrogd has offered some advice on this, but in order for the port to complete the service needs to still be active with the previous provider. Is that still the case?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Yes it is still active for now, the option was checked and I have been reassured that it is being ported "in the next x days" when I call again nothing is occurring.  BT have confirmed that they haven't had any contact from yourselves also

Thank you for your reply streetpreache47. 

I would like to take a look at this from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to take a few more details. 

This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello streetpreache47, 

Thank you for joining us on private message and for your patience whilst we worked on this for you. 

I am happy this is now resolved but do please reach out to us if we can assist in the future. 

Take care, 

Nat