Menu
Highlighted
Sutcliffegraham
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Payment - in error

any ideas appreciated... paid Virgin Media in error

I am not a virgin customer, in paying my Virgin Money account, my payment went to the wrong account on the banking app - and instead the payment went to Virgin Media.

Virgin Media have no email address and no general phone number. I have tried EVERY phone number listed and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get through without an account number or a virgin phone number and the IVR just drops you if you can't give those digits.. there is no "stay on for an agent" option.. so unless you have an account - it's impossible to get hold of someone.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get to speak to someone ? it's a considerable sum of several thousand pounds... My bank is trying to recover it but said it could take a month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Payment - in error

Type in a random 8 digit account number / 2 digit area code on the IVR a couple times and it pops you to an agent. You will want to ask to speak to the thinking of leaving us team to get to the UK teams as offshore will not be able to deal with this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

Sutcliffegraham
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

thank you, that's got me through to someone in the UK by using random digits.... but nothing they can do without an account number, they've gone to speak to their payments/credit/money people and they say they can't do anything either without an account number.......... I don't have an account number.

They've spoken to payments - can't help without account number

They've spoken to manager - can't help without account number

back to square one

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The following article maybe of help, Sending money to the wrong bank account.

0 Kudos
Sutcliffegraham
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's underway already but can take over a month.... My bank have specifically asked me to contact VM so they can speed up the process... Not sure anyone would like to have £7000 missing (my fault of course) and wait the month+ to have it returned, when it can be done in 2 days once the receiver of the money is aware... here we are trying to speed up that part of the process. As it's a company (VM) and I don't have an account there can be no dispute and this can be returned in a couple of days, whereas the industry process is more designed for payments to individuals etc where there may be issues with recovering if it has been spent etc.....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Anyrhing that can be done then or is it in the hands of the bank now?

Sutcliffegraham
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

it's more they don't know who to speak to, have no names or numbers, won't take your details to pass to anyone.... no one is being unhelpful.. but their process/systems just don't function unless you have an account.

so there is nothing they can do, not because that's the answer, but because they don't know who to speak to or get to contact me and can't give me any details of anyone in head office or corporate etc.... Which frankly is rubbish, if the building was on fire, or someone had an accident, or the building fell down, or staff didn't get paid...

I'm going to email the CEO, not because I think I deserve or need that, but simply as his staff have no way of helping me and the systems don't enable them to do anything other than their specific part of the process. My expectation is he'll just pass it to someone to deal with... which is frankly all I want. I'd contact other dept, but there is no info on how to do that so will start at the top.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Sutcliffegraham wrote:

it's more they don't know who to speak to, have no names or numbers, won't take your details to pass to anyone.... no one is being unhelpful.. but their process/systems just don't function unless you have an account.

so there is nothing they can do, not because that's the answer, but because they don't know who to speak to or get to contact me and can't give me any details of anyone in head office or corporate etc.... Which frankly is rubbish, if the building was on fire, or someone had an accident, or the building fell down, or staff didn't get paid...

I'm going to email the CEO, not because I think I deserve or need that, but simply as his staff have no way of helping me and the systems don't enable them to do anything other than their specific part of the process. My expectation is he'll just pass it to someone to deal with... which is frankly all I want. I'd contact other dept, but there is no info on how to do that so will start at the top.

I’ve flagged it for the staff here at least for you, they are usually good at digging and getting answers, if they are allowed to do so. It may just be a case of there literally is nothing that can be done VMs side and it just has to go through the banks process.

The CEO won’t even read the email, it’s just an account set up for his team to deal with, not the actual CEOs email. They may also be able to help though so it’s still worth a shot emailing and seeing where you get with it.

The ModTeam May be able to advise if they can help, hopefully it ‘could’ be tonight or tomorrow they can give you a reply, it may be the standard 1-2 weeks the current wait time is though.

0 Kudos
Sutcliffegraham
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yes I know how CEO email account work, I know they get filtered... and I actually don't mind that - I do in fact want to just get passed onto someone lower down perhaps in the treasury or finance departments etc... so getting passed down to someone would be useful.

All the bank process is, is this... my bank contacts VM's bank, VM's bank contacts VM... so it ends up with someone at VM having to deal with it regardless....and then approving the bank sending it back... so just trying to get that person at VM aware now so they are ready and can expedite it through.....

there is no "my bank just sorts it" option here..... it ends up with VM to resolve regardless.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Sutcliffegraham wrote:

yes I know how CEO email account work, I know they get filtered... and I actually don't mind that - I do in fact want to just get passed onto someone lower down perhaps in the treasury or finance departments etc... so getting passed down to someone would be useful.

All the bank process is, is this... my bank contacts VM's bank, VM's bank contacts VM... so it ends up with someone at VM having to deal with it regardless....and then approving the bank sending it back... so just trying to get that person at VM aware now so they are ready and can expedite it through.....

there is no "my bank just sorts it" option here..... it ends up with VM to resolve regardless.

See now you are going to trigger me.

Why? Why is it NOT your banks responsibility? You've told them it was a mistake. If you are sending 7K payments to whoever, I assume you are a good customer to them, I assume they charge you shedloads for whatever they can legally get away with. I spent 65 quid with a new payee today and got a text asking to me to confirm, did you get that wimilair? Why? Because it was an online payment they couldn't claw back cos it was going abroad, so they had to contact me to ensure MY money was protected. despite the fact it was a VISA payment so I could cheerfully claim it back if there was an issue, but the bank couldn't. Does your bank do anything similair to guard YOUR money. Anything in their system to STOP random payments to random companies you have not done business with before? If not WHY not?

VM are part of Liberty Global, a multi billion pound international company, they have a duty of care to their shareholders so likely need to do some forensic accounting before sending 7K back to your bank who SHOULD have some checks in place in the first place.

Not a defence of VM in any way, it should take much less than a month to expedite this, but assuming you are not the first (or last) individual to make a mistake...what is the bank actually doing to keep your money safe?

Reminds me of the pensioners who have been scammed out of large sums of money and the banks attitude is "its your fault, you got scammed and they cleared security, now your moneys gone..." Why? where is it? It had to go somewhere? How in this day and age is there no "reverse transaction" button.

Lets face it , you pay a 20K cheque in, spend it in good faith on stock for a project, and it later bounces, they can reverse that and bill YOU okay? Why cant they do the same for you?

Soz, I know thats a rant but there are circumstances where you need to NOT accept the status quo and challenge what you are being told- specifically in this case "Oh yeah it will take a month but maybe hassling the payee will help"

It wont. Your bank CAN reverse it, VM can spend all the time they want/need putting you through hoops to get it resolved......after all its not their problem.

0 Kudos