Menu
ABrowne
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Payment Handling Charge on new contract, when I pay by Direct Debit

On 5th August I had a call from Virgin Media (0800 052 1251) offering me an upgrade to my TV package at a discount for 12 months. After a little discussion I agreed to the upgrade. When I look at my new contract in My Virgin Media, my new monthly service charge matches the price agreed on the call, but I am puzzled that under the Phone section of the contract there is a "Payment Handling Charge" shown. It is apparent from the specified value of the discount on my bill, and from what Virgin charges for the package without the discount, that this Payment Handling Charge is £0.45, which is what Virgin charge customers who don't pay by direct debit. However I do pay by direct debit. Is this Payment Handling Charge in the Phone section due to a misunderstanding about how I will be paying my line rental in future? (I mentioned to the salesperson that I have hitherto paid annual Line Rental Saver, but that Virgin have now discontinued this option.) Or is the payment handling charge a "creative" way to get the billing system to match the amount agreed on the call? If it is the latter, then what happens to the Partial Month Charges on my next bill? At the moment it appears from My Virgin Media that I will be billed the full £0.45 on the next bill, even though my package changed partway through the month. (I am comparing the Partial Month Charges in My Virgin Media to what the email I received after changing my package said my partial month charges would be, and the My Virgin Media figure is £0.45 higher.) Finally, is there any danger that Virgin Media will not be taking all or part of my future bills by Direct Debit as a consequence of this Partial Month Charge appearing on my package? Thanks in advance for any help and clarification of this.      

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ABrowne
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Payment Handling Charge on new contract, when I pay by Direct Debit

Sorry, penultimate sentence above should have said "Finally, is there any danger that Virgin Media will not be taking all or part of my future bills by Direct Debit as a consequence of this Payment Handling Charge appearing on my package?" 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Payment Handling Charge on new contract, when I pay by Direct Debit

Hi ABrowne,

Thanks for posting, and apologies for any confusion with this. 

Regarding this query, I'll send you a PM as we'll be discussing account specific content. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"