Menu
ChrisK1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Over Inflation Price Rises

It’s been nice being with VM for the past four years or more but I just can’t stomach anymore above inflation prices rises, come on, 10% rise and inflation is running at what, 2 or 3% at most.

My service has been reasonably reliable over the years but so was TalkTalk before VM and I’m looking forward to decent upload speeds when I switch to FTTC in the coming months.

Thank you VM and goodbye.

P.S.

Is there any way to discontinue service without ringing some morons overseas?

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Over Inflation Price Rises

the rate of inflation has nothing to do with ANY increase virgin/sky or anyone else put their prices up by (aside from the railways they are capped).

let me explain. the rate of inflation is a statistic based on a basket of over 500 everyday items and how much they have gone up by over the previous month. it is not a 'guide' to much anyone should increase their prices by going forward, be it virgin, ford cars or your local plumber. virgin/sky are not part of the 500 basket items anyway.

if the rate of inflation is 2.5% and virgin/your window cleaner/asda milk(milk is in the basket of items) increase their price by 100%, they can. the rate of inflation for the previous month is totally irrelevant.

let's say the rate of inflation was 3% and virgin increased their prices by 200% but the 500 basket of items remained the same with no increases. the rate of inflation would still be 3% the following month.

as for your rather discriminatory comment towards foreign virgin staff....phone 150 during office hours and you will speak to a uk member of staff. you may be able to haggle a better deal. be aware though, any new deal generates a new contract and a new deal will not be the same as a new customer receives.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And TalkTalk don't increase their prices? I think they already have.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/News-about-our-prices/ta-p/2204734

Considering TalkTalk maxes out at 76Mb & their TV offering is not a patch on VM's you will be paying more with VM because you get more.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

ChrisK1
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well if you want to make up excuses on behalf on VM ripping you off that’s fine and as far as I'm concerned they can go on screwing you forever.

TalkTalk along with many other providers can deliver FTTC for £9 a month less than VM and why go on about TV for the love of God, I don’t want TV from an internet provider, I just want broadband, nothing more or nothing less.

Loyal customers are going to be shafted whether it’s VM. TT BT etc so time to move on with nothing more to say other than I’ve out stayed my welcome with VM.

nickwilcock
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've been with Virgin for around 19 years now, but over the last 3 years the price rises have been excessive.

I had an e-mail last week announcing a 10% price rise, so made my way through the labyrinthine phone menu system to speak with someone - who it turns out was in the Philippines.  I was promised a call back from the customer complaints team within 48 hours, but no-one called.

So I rang again and was again put through to the Philippines.  This time I was promised a return call within 21 days.

Then yesterday I had a call from someone I could barely understand....in Manila.  Yet again I explained that a 10% price hike was unreasonable; she said it was 'necessary to improve our service quality, for example we've now got UK TV back'....

Really?  Elsewhere they've said that the price hike was nothing to do with their UK TV fiasco.

I've been with Virgin for 19 years, but in the last 3 the monthly rate has increased by 58%!  It was £24.50 in Jan 2015 and it's now going up to £38.83 - just for Internet and e-mail.  No entertainment box or phone.  The woman in Manila also said that Ofcom were content with the price hike.

But I was given a 'good will' one-off £10 reduction for next month, which I suppose is better than nothing.

Virgin is getting seriously expensive for 100Mbps Internet and e-mail.  They know that it's a real faff to change ISP and e-mail address, so have us pretty well cornered at the mercy of their price hikes.

nickwilcock
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Over Inflation Price Rises

Yet ANOTHER Virgin Media price hike!  From £38.73 per month for 100 Mbps Internet and e-mail, it's going up by £2.51 from September, a price hike of 6.48%....

Way, way over RPI....

I will try calling their 'customer service' yet again to seek an explanation, but I'm not that hopeful.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@nickwilcock wrote:

Yet ANOTHER Virgin Media price hike!  From £38.73 per month for 100 Mbps Internet and e-mail, it's going up by £2.51 from September, a price hike of 6.48%....

Way, way over RPI....

I will try calling their 'customer service' yet again to seek an explanation, but I'm not that hopeful.

I’m really not sure what your issue is. These services aren’t part of the inflation basket, as far as I know, and even if they are inflation is an average with some components higher and some lower.

When prices change, everyone still has to determine whether what they are getting is value for money and take appropriate action.

0 Kudos
wez
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The yearly price change is partly to keep up with costs, but also to allow extra investment in the network and services. It also comes with the right to cancel without any penalties (other than normal notice periods) for most accounts.

0 Kudos