cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of contract, limited package options.

MarkVarley1
Joining in

I hope I can get some help here, emailing support and online support couldn't help at all.

I was on M350 package, which ran out in January, I wanted to now start an M200 package as I want to save some money. In my account I could only choose M350 packages (I only need broadband, broadband plus landline is usually cheapest, I don't need any TV etc.), no M200 or even anything higher was available. I contacted online cat who said my contract ran out in 2019 (it didn't, it ran out in January this year) and he could offer me M200 but for about £1 cheaper than I could get M350 anyway.

I complained and got an email that was of zero help either.

Am I missing something here? am I doing something wrong? I don't see why I can't downgrade when my contract ran out in January.

For now I've chosen one of the M350 packages in my account which is at least a couple of pounds cheaper than I was paying, but I've got 14 days to change my mind if someone knows how I can get what I want.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Have just gone through this same downgrading dilemma myself and am now in the process of leaving VM.

VM have no interest in providing you with broadband only. They want to sell you bundles of services. Hence you get a phone + BB package cheaper than BB only for 18 months and VM hope you will not renegotiate promptly after 18 months and will lapse onto a higher priced bundle compared to BB only.

If you really do want BB only, have a look around at the alternatives. Also, is there a specific reason to need the higher speeds VM offers? If not, you should be looking at BB only from other providers where you will get new customer pricing. If you do specifically need the higher speeds then you may have to come up with a strategy to try to get that from VM.

There are plenty of topics on here on how to negotiate with VM but they all rely on the idea that you are actually willing to walk away and leave if VM can't offer something suitable for you.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The online offers are a tiny subset of what's available - VM never have and apparently never will allow customers to manage their contracts online, and the whole customer experience is built around 1990's style call centre sweatshops, with crummy IVR before you get that far.

If you want to renegotiate, you have to phone, up select options for thinking of leaving, and if they won't match or beat the deal you would otherwise take, then you cancel, although recent reports suggest that VM are making that as difficult as they know how.  At some point you will probably be speaking to UK based retentions staff (although they may not be highly motivated at the moment) and they're your best chance of a decent deal.  General opinion is that phone first thing in the morning improves your chances of getting a UK agent, but I don't know if that's truly the case.  Offshore agents seem to have less leeway to offer good deals.  Because of the way retention agent incentives work, the deals they will offer can vary day to day, agent to agent, there are no firm rules here.  If they won't strike a deal you can accept, and you do cancel, there's a good chance of you getting an outbound retentions call during your notice period, and those staff are usually able to offer discounts equivalent to new customer pricing.  There is no guarantee on that call happening, or coming at a time when you can take it, so don't make that a central part of your strategy.

If negotiating, avoid mentioning fairness or loyalty, those count for nothing and will suggest to the agent that you're easy meat for the win-back script based around VM's speed advantage, or by throwing in low cost giveaways like a VM sim.  All that matters for you is that the agent believes you will leave, that you know what offers are on the market, and that within their bonus calculations they can find the leeway to achieve the necessary discount.  Quote the lowest comparable price you can find (even from a company you might not touch with a bargepole), and quote it early in the call - the agent gets bonus on number of customer retained, and therefore for them personally, time is money, as soon as you're off the phone they can be onto another call.  So if you give them sight of the goal early, they can wrap up the call quickly - either you get the deal and everybody is happy, or they say "computer says no" and at least you know where you stand without (hopefully) twenty minutes of tedious pretend back and forth with "need to speak to my boss" lies from time to time.