Menu
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Opt out of marketing calls

Is there a way of opting out of marketing calls that doesn't involve calling the call centre? I find them hard to understand, and the feeling is mutual - they find my accent difficult.

I am fairly sure that I have already opted out on both the mobile account and the cable account, but had multiple calls today trying to get me to pay £12 more a month for services that I don't want.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opt out of marketing calls

you could try the online chat via http://contact.virginmedia.com (using PC/laptop) can take a few weeks to be removed from all campaigns

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is the (better) option to send Virgin Media a Section 11 DPA Notice, which gives you the right to make a request to an organisation to stop processing your data for the purposes of direct marketing.

If you send this notice to an organisation it means they must stop, or not begin, sending you marketing material or contacting you for marketing purposes.

You need to give the organisation enough information to identify you. This may be your full name, address, email address or other information, such as your account number. Your notice needs to be in writing, an email is acceptable for this purpose.

Your letter should be sent to Virgin Media's Data Protection Officer at 

MEDIA HOUSE 
BARTLEY WOOD BUSINESS PARK 
HOOK 
HAMPSHIRE 
RG27 9UP

TEMPLATE LETTER

[Your full name]

[Your full address]

[Today's date]

Data Controller / Company Secretary

[Organisation's full address]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Notice under the Data Protection Act 1998 not to use my personal information for direct marketing

I, [your full name] of [your full address] require you to [stop / not to begin] processing personal information relating to me for direct marketing as soon as possible and in any event within 28 days of the date of this [letter / e-mail].

If you do not normally handle these requests for your organisation, please pass this [letter / e-mail] to your Data Protection Officer or the person who does.

Please note that if you do not comply with this notice, I can apply to the court for an order against you under Section 11 of the Data Protection Act.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name]

In normal circumstances you should expect them to stop contacting you by email within 28 days of receiving your notice, and post to stop within two months. Telephone contact should also stop within this time period.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I have already posted a letter to the address shown in the T&Cs (http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy.html), so I'll try the address you mention if that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpennycook, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are receiving unwanted calls from us. 

In order to change your marketing preferences we'll need to pass Data Protection with you. 

I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath - I've just replied to your message

Jon

0 Kudos
jpennycook
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have now received a letter from Virgin Media regarding my request to suppress marketing calls from their call centre, and they want me to speak to the call centre to discuss. I had Virgin Media's call centre numbers blocked on my phone on the advice of their Twitter team, so I will unblock them so they can speak to me. I will be frustrated if it turns out that they want to sell me something useless.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi jpennycook, 

Thanks for confirming you've received the letter Smiley Happy 

As they have already tried calling 3 times, they won't call again regarding this. Instead the only reason you need to call is if you would like to escalate the complaint. 

If you're happy with what's been done, you don't need to do anything else Smiley Happy 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_Fwrote:

Hi jpennycook, 

Thanks for confirming you've received the letter Smiley Happy 

As they have already tried calling 3 times, they won't call again regarding this. Instead the only reason you need to call is if you would like to escalate the complaint. 

If you're happy with what's been done, you don't need to do anything else Smiley Happy 

Thanks,

It seems anomalous that a request to opt-out of receiving VM marketing calls instigates the very same type of marketing call you are trying to opt-out of! 

Smiley Frustrated

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sololobo, 

Thanks for your post. Smiley Happy

When cancelling marketing calls, this won't prevent calls regarding issues with your account or complaints. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos