Menu
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom’s Early Termination Charge ruling

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46233110

I guess this is why the prices  go up.  To pay the fines.  

"A small percentage of customers were charged an incorrect amount when they ended one or more of their services early and for that we are very sorry," said Tom Mockridge, chief executive of Virgin Media.

Virgin Media said it had mistakenly overcharged 1.5% of its 5.5 million cable customers 

Not being funny but arguably they overcharged a far bigger percentage of those who actually did leave as surely less than 5.5 million left.

The company has reimbursed or made charity donations covering 99.8% of its overcharging.

And raised my price by £4/month

Ofcom said the behaviour of both companies made customers less likely to switch provider, which was against its rules.

So scrap it.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ofcom’s Early Termination Charge ruling

Tom Mockridge, CEO of Virgin Media, said:

We wholeheartedly reject the claim by Ofcom that our ETC levels dissuaded customers from switching.
However it is true. Plenty of customers are dissuaded. Self included. Even worse customers who move homes who are unable to obtain the services anymore are also subject to the ETC.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ofcom’s Early Termination Charge ruling

It’s true, not having EDFs / being fined will have an impact on prices. VM are a business and they will have to recoup costs (install / fines or whatever) and remain in profit.

id guess VM are appealing the fine on the basis that they have refunded the customers who were overcharged prior to any finding/ruling. Who knows how it pans out. Probably also appealing to appear to fight any admittance of guilt.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos