Menu
GemJar
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nowhere near 200mb connection area 20

Hi

Really struggling for help and usually just get fobbed off on the phone - we don't get anywhere near the connection speeds required and although we've followed all advice (router not near electrical items etc), we don't get anywhere near the speeds we are paying for. Every time I go on the status checker it tells me that there are no known issues in my area, then when I run the test it tells me a problem was found and that they're fixing it and to wait for 10 minutes, usually nothing else happens.

What can I do?

Thanks,

Gemma

0 Kudos
johnr51
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nowhere near 200mb connection area 20

glad im not the only one in area 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/vivid-200-speed/td-p/3300349

i can feel a switch to BT coming on

0 Kudos
GemJar
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't bother - they're just as bad! All promising what they can't deliver!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi GemJar,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see no issues from here. Your power levels, SNR and area contention are all healthy. How are you connected to the hub? Wired or wireless?

If wireless could you try a wired connection and let us know if your speeds improve?

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
groundhog1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am also in area 20 (Trafford) and have had terrible speeds since around Christmas. When i spoke to an CSR they made some changes to the modem which fixed an issue with the connection dropping however the poor speed remained. The CSR said that there was a big issue in the area affecting around 2,000 people and it was being treated as a high priority and would be fixed by 1st January.

When i phoned back in the new year i was told the deadline had slipped back to 17th January.

Last night i did a speed test on the Which website and i was getting 4Mb download speed (paying for 50Mb).

Can you confirm if there is an issue in this area, and if so what the resolution date is expected to be?

0 Kudos
groundhog1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

sorry i misread the dates on this and thought the person who posted had just experienced the problem a few days ago, forgot it was 2018 now!

Please let me know if these needs a new thread.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello groundhog1, 

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry for the slow speeds you're getting, I know it's frustrating. 

I've just taken a look and I can see that we're working on a fault in your area under ref: F005152913 which is due for review on the 31st Jan. This fault is known for causing slow speeds, especially during peak time hours. 

If you keep in touch, we will provide progress updates. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

groundhog1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update. Things have got a little bit better as I'm up to 20Mb now, still less than the 40Mb i was getting a few months ago but an improvement.

I am a bit concerned that the fix date seems to have been pushed back again but hopefully it will be done by the end of the month

Thanks Again
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us groundhog1,

I can see that the fault ticket previously mentioned by Heather has since been closed.

How has your connection been performing for you recently?

Nat.

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
groundhog1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It has been good on the whole. I have not done a speed check but not noticed any further issues since my last response. I will test a bit more and let you know.
Thanks for the feedback.
0 Kudos