cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now cancelling all services

Boddster84
Joining in

07/01/22 - Received an email outlining my bill was goin up by over 6% a month. 

08/01/22 - first attempt to contact regarding a new deal as I am not in a fixed contract. 

Today - after countless hours on hold, only to be cut off when the call got to around 45mins each time. (2.5 hours today alone), Countless attempts to connect via live chat and after getting a reply on twitter but VM offering no help. Only informing me I cannot give my 30days notice on social media.....I have now cancelled my direct debit. As I have legally made sufficient attempts to discuss my account. 

VM offer no email option or online account option for giving your 30days notice. Plenty of online help for adding services......but to cancel you have to speak to an agent. 

All this, after being with VM since 2006, spending thousands on their services and never making one complaint. 

Direct debit cancelled. See ya VM, thanks for the parting treatment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

domidi
On our wavelength

@japitts wrote:

Cancelling your direct debit does not mean your account has been cancelled. It does mean that if your contractual payments are not made, that you'll firstly get late payment fees, then get your services suspended, and eventually find missed payments are entered on your credit file - which could impact you in the future.

Actually, the contract says quite clearly that 30 days notice needs to be given. If VM make it impossible to give that 30 days notice, then it can't, doesn't, and won't hold up in the even VM attempt to pursue the monies. 

I spoke with the regulators today, purely out of interest, as I had been through the same awful experience for the past 4 days. They're quite black/white about the situation. A service provider must take reasonable steps and provide a reasonable process for customers to give notice. In the event that customers are unable to do so, then service providers must either make exceptions or allowances for customers affected by their inability to give notice as per the service providers process. The customer must, in turn, be prepared to demonstrate they have made a reasonable attempt to contact / cancel their contract.

Now, for those who are going to say 'Why didn't you just write in and send a letter', well - VM give multiple options, because one particular method may not be appropriate for all people. If you spend 8hrs on hold, continually get cut off, and are unable to cancel the contract as a result, and are also unable to walk to a post box because you're physically limited, or personal circumstances (caring for someone at home, for example) dictate so, then it's considered a reasonable attempt to cancel. How do I know?, because that's what I was told today.

@OP - I have no doubt whatsoever that VM won't have a leg to stand on if they try and hustle money from customers who have made multiple attempts to cancel, but have been unable to do so. And if they ruin your credit score due to their own incompetence, then they're going to be in a whole world of sh...t, because you wont be the only person in that boat.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cancelling your direct debit does not mean your account has been cancelled. It does mean that if your contractual payments are not made, that you'll firstly get late payment fees, then get your services suspended, and eventually find missed payments are entered on your credit file - which could impact you in the future.

I agree VM's CS can be frustrating at the best of times, but cancelling your DD and thinking "that's it" really isn't the way to go - unless you're prepared to accept the consequences.

You can give your cancellation notice by post if you'd rather - Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm fully aware of the consequences thanks. I also know where I stand legally, this weekend I have done everything the ombudsman has advised me to do to legally cover the bases. 

After nearly a month, its not really " that's it" is it lol.... 

I've already prepared a letter as I was given VM postal address last week. Its being posted tomorrow via recored. That completes my legal obligation to my VM contract, I am now leaning back on my consumer rights.

I'm sure your reply was an attempt at being helpful. So thank you 

domidi
On our wavelength

@japitts wrote:

Actually, the contract says quite clearly that 30 days notice needs to be given. If VM make it impossible to give that 30 days notice, then it can't, doesn't, and won't hold up in the even VM attempt to pursue the monies. 

I spoke with the regulators today, purely out of interest, as I had been through the same awful experience for the past 4 days. They're quite black/white about the situation. A service provider must take reasonable steps and provide a reasonable process for customers to give notice. In the event that customers are unable to do so, then service providers must either make exceptions or allowances for customers affected by their inability to give notice as per the service providers process. The customer must, in turn, be prepared to demonstrate they have made a reasonable attempt to contact / cancel their contract.

Now, for those who are going to say 'Why didn't you just write in and send a letter', well - VM give multiple options, because one particular method may not be appropriate for all people. If you spend 8hrs on hold, continually get cut off, and are unable to cancel the contract as a result, and are also unable to walk to a post box because you're physically limited, or personal circumstances (caring for someone at home, for example) dictate so, then it's considered a reasonable attempt to cancel. How do I know?, because that's what I was told today.

@OP - I have no doubt whatsoever that VM won't have a leg to stand on if they try and hustle money from customers who have made multiple attempts to cancel, but have been unable to do so. And if they ruin your credit score due to their own incompetence, then they're going to be in a whole world of sh...t, because you wont be the only person in that boat.

domidi
On our wavelength

@Boddster84 wrote:

I'm fully aware of the consequences thanks. I also know where I stand legally, this weekend I have done everything the ombudsman has advised me to do to legally cover the bases. 

After nearly a month, its not really " that's it" is it lol.... 

I've already prepared a letter as I was given VM postal address last week. Its being posted tomorrow via recored. That completes my legal obligation to my VM contract, I am now leaning back on my consumer rights.

I'm sure your reply was an attempt at being helpful. So thank you 

100% agree with this. Basically this is what I was trying to say. Anyway, I'm glad you've taken this approach.

Tbh, your post should be pinned on the front page, because this is what we should ALL be doing. Fortunately, I managed to get through to them this morning after sending my postal cancellation notice, so I've cancelled my contract over the phone too. Having been with NTL, Cable & Wireless, Blueyonder, Virgin, and everything else since 1997.... it's time to say good riddance!

marko
Dialled in

Well, we've been with VM since the day dot too, we were with Telewest/BlueYonder before that as well (pre 000's), rarely missed a payment, generally we were paying something around the £50-£60 mark for what we considered a good service, even phoning previously was normally a good experience, however over the past few years (before the pandemic that is) we noticed a lot of movement on the pricing.   Slowly but surely it crept up, little by little, the "loyalty discounts" would change, and on and on it went.

Eventually, we were paying £82 which included (I think) the essential TV, 200Mb BB and phone line which we've never plugged in (forced to have it), along with a spare TV box, on this went for some time and just at the point where I thought it's time to reduce our services to get the price back down again we were lettered and told there would be an £8.50 per month increase and this coincides with the end of our "loyalty discounts" which would take our bill to well over £100 now.

Tried phoning, tried web chatting, just impossible to get through, posted here on the forums and one of the mods very efficiently managed to take my request to cancel and action it.

Having now looked over the pricing for new customers, if we went back down to a 100Mb service (which we could no problem), got rid of the spare box (again, not a problem) and removed Sky Cinema (which we were duped into taking and have never used) we could have those services for something like £45 per month and get a £75 credit on our new bill.   That's nearly 3 times LESS than what I, as a customer since the beginning, was paying.   How can that be possible?.   I understand the discounting to attract new customers, but where is the incentive to keep existing and long standing customers?.

As I say, tried phoning and web chatting, but impossible to get through, so reluctantly, we are leaving VM at the end of this month and we'll either just come back as a new customer or we'll look into other deals available from other providers.   All in all, it's a great shame because although there were a lot of teething problems with VM in the beginning, they did get through them and most of us "loyal" customers stuck with them whilst they did, but to allow such loyal and long standing customers to get to the point of cancelling is testament to how bad the services have become.   Any time previously I've threatened to cancel VM had always jumped all over it, but now it's as if they either don't have the staff available, or just can't cope with the demand, either way it's a sign that something isn't working within VM and if they can lose long term customers it says a great deal about how they would potentially manage new customers.

Tis a shame, but if it to be, then it is to be.

Hi @Boddster84,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you're looking to cancel and leave us, and have been struggling to make contact with the team. We do get busy from time-to-time which results in queues unfortunately. I'm not sure why the line has been dropping on you, but I assure you we wouldn't terminate the calls intentionally.

We would strongly advise against cancelling your Direct Debit, as this can cause further complications. If calling to submit your cancellation request isn't ideal for you then please refer to one of our other contact options, all of which are detailed here. I'm afraid we're unable to carry out a package change from here on the forums, including cancellations.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!