cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not renewing contract

El_Lloyd
Joining in

Hi

I don't want to renew my contract when it ends in the middle of January, but I don't want to phone and spend a long time on hold because a) like most people I don't have time and b) I'm overseas and the call will be expensive. Can someone else do the non-renewal call on my behalf, or can I non-renew online or via a Zoom call or something like that?

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM don't make any part of managing your account online easy.  There's no easy online cancellation, no email options, there is a poor quality chat option that sometimes works, but I wouldn't hope for much.

Your best option may be to write (and send recorded delivery) a letter as per the T&Cs.  Even with this, VM can mess things up because they don't seem to reply or otherwise confirm the request.  If that's not an option, then I'm afraid you'll have to take your chances with the phone cancellation options.  Sometimes that's quick and easy, sometimes it'll be the usual passing around, long waits and unhelpful agents.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM don't make any part of managing your account online easy.  There's no easy online cancellation, no email options, there is a poor quality chat option that sometimes works, but I wouldn't hope for much.

Your best option may be to write (and send recorded delivery) a letter as per the T&Cs.  Even with this, VM can mess things up because they don't seem to reply or otherwise confirm the request.  If that's not an option, then I'm afraid you'll have to take your chances with the phone cancellation options.  Sometimes that's quick and easy, sometimes it'll be the usual passing around, long waits and unhelpful agents.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@El_Lloyd wrote:

Can someone else do the non-renewal call on my behalf

In addition to the advice thus far, you're effectively asking here if a third party can enter you into a new 18month minimum term contract.

VM have never allowed third parties to renegotiate accounts into new contracts in this way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks japitts - I'm actually asking if a third party can, on my behalf, stop my contract being renewed (I do not want a new contract, this is the whole issue). I thought I could just cancel the direct debit, but I've read in these pages that this is not recommended! I'm reaching the end of the current contract, and I just don't want to continue with Virgin Media. So no negotiation of any new contract, just a request to cease being a Virgin Media customer when my current contract ends.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@El_Lloyd wrote:

Thanks japitts - I'm actually asking if a third party can, on my behalf, stop my contract being renewed (I do not want a new contract, this is the whole issue)

That's not how these contracts work - you have a rolling contract that doesn't need renewing in the sense you're explaining. You have a minimum contractual term, but if you do nothing, it continues.

You need to explicitly give cancellation notice if you want to disconnect your VM services. Although many people refer to telecoms contracts "ending" or getting "renewed" in this way, the UK telecoms industry doesn't work like that. Service provision contracts are, by nature, ongoing and rolling in nature - they're not fixed term agreements.

What you're therefore asking, seems to be "how do I give Virgin Media my disconnection notice to cancel all my services". The answer to that is in Section N of VM's Terms & Conditions ...

1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice.  You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts.  Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @El_Lloyd 

A few people on the forums are using whatsapp to speak to VM.

If you have that on your mobile you could probably use that to make a free call ot Virgin on the 0345 454 1111 number.

You will probably have to return any equipment to Virgin or pay fees for non return of the equipment.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/priceguides 

If this is the case it would be best if you can have someone in the UK able to return the equipment for you. You can advise VM of the address to send the returns pouch to if it's different to your account address.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @El_Lloyd 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I am so sorry to hear you are facing this trouble whilst trying to cancel. 

I'd be happy to take a look for you, I will send you a PM now so we can sort something.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.