cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract without consent

Valeria85
Joining in

Hello! I need some help please! I had moved house in November 2021 and took my virgin media wifi with me, as I had a contract running until September 2022. After a few months I’ve noticed that a new contract has been issued for another 18 months from my moving date, but I wasn’t informed of this. When I spoke with the customer service they had assured me that this happens automatically but my contract will end in September 2022, as expected. When I tried to cancel yesterday, they have told me that it’s impossible and that contracts renew when for 18 months when you change address and nothing can be done. Even after I’ve explained that the other staff member told me differently, aparrently I am stuck with a contract I never requested and never agreed to. To top it up, the discounted price finished and now I have another 8 months to pay £43. Clearly this is not legal! I filed a complaint, but received an email to say that it’s been resolved…resolution: blank. 
Please can someone look into this asap?

thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@Valeria85 wrote:

Snip ….

When I tried to cancel yesterday, they have told me that it’s impossible and that contracts renew when for 18 months when you change address and nothing can be done. …. Snip

thank you! 

Well that was simply a lie to start with!

When you move then, yes it does start a new 18 month contract, however, IF you make no changes to the contract, add or remove or change any services etc. then this new contract is supposed to be manually altered to reflect how much time was left on the old one.

This process does seem to be, shall we say, overlooked from time to time.

Hang on, and a member of the forum team here will get to this thread in a day or so and offer to message you directly to get some details and, hopefully get it sourced out for you.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jem101
Superstar

@Valeria85 wrote:

Snip ….

When I tried to cancel yesterday, they have told me that it’s impossible and that contracts renew when for 18 months when you change address and nothing can be done. …. Snip

thank you! 

Well that was simply a lie to start with!

When you move then, yes it does start a new 18 month contract, however, IF you make no changes to the contract, add or remove or change any services etc. then this new contract is supposed to be manually altered to reflect how much time was left on the old one.

This process does seem to be, shall we say, overlooked from time to time.

Hang on, and a member of the forum team here will get to this thread in a day or so and offer to message you directly to get some details and, hopefully get it sourced out for you.

Thank you for your reply! I haven’t changed anything in my contract, other than the address. I will wait to hear from them, hopefully it will get resolved. 

Thanks again! 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Valeria85,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced regarding this, to get this sorted I've dropped you a PM.

You'll find the message within the purple envelope icon.

Thanks,

Kain

THIS HAPPENED TO ME!! July 2021 move-in to end january 2023, move house july 2022 and now its another 18 month and a £200+ cancellation fee!! DID NOT CONSENT

help me too

Hi @Herbertj01, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you were re-contracted without your permission.  It sounds like this happened automatically with the move and transfer.  I would like to take a look on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R