cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract that I did not ask for?

S19sjs
Tuning in

Hello, 

So I was out of contract and wished to reduce the monthly cost so I spoke to webchat, and agreed on the return of one of the V6 boxes that I don't use. This was at the beginning of Jan, and if I had known I would be signing a new 18 month contract, I would NEVER have opted into this, it's reduced the price marginally, but has placed me into a new 18 month contract when I plan to move house in a few months time (3/4)

Please advise on what I can do here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi S19sjs,

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you regarding this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is no longer an issue.

If you are moving your services to the new location, there is no issue.

If you are moving to an area not serviced by Virgin Media, you no longer have to pay early disconnection charges, on proof that you are in an non-serviced area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Easy option:  So long as you are willing to take the new contract with you then you just use the house moves options with VM.  If you're moving outside the VM service area then so long as this is after 1 April, although you'll have to pay the early termination charge, you can claim it back after you have moved.  Not ideal, considerably better than a kick in the teeth.

More difficult option:  Dispute the new contract as you weren't informed that changing the package would start a new fixed term.  Whilst you're on good legal ground doing that, getting a result with VM might be more hassle than the easy option, unless the forum staff step in can get things sorted.

Thanks for the reply! That was the reason for not getting a new contract, I wasn't intending on moving the service to the new house, was expecting to be able to shop around and get the best package for my needs (Working from home so need decent internet, but never watch TV)

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Then it's the potentially more difficult option.  If the new minimum term wasn't clearly stated during your call, it fails the Ofcom requirements specifically for transparency and prominence.  Start off with the complaints route if the forum staff don't pick this up in a day or so.  There's an easy to use form buried in My Virgin Media.  Be specific that you were not advised of the material condition of a new 18 month duration for a new contract, and you therefore reject it, and request that VM reinstate your previous terms (may result in some price revisions there).  

See what happens.  If VM fob the complaint off, contact them again asking for a deadlock letter for the purposes of escalation to CISAS, with the deadlock letter you raise the same matter with CISAS.  They're dispute resolution experts, they should be familiar with the regulatory requirements.   

But it's quicker and easier for you (and much cheaper for VM) if the forum staff can sort out an amicable resolution without the complaint and escalation.

Thank you very much, Andrew. I'll keep this open for a few days then, and see what happens.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @S19sjs

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your new contract, I am so sorry to hear that you were not made aware that you would be entering into a new 18 month contract by agreeing to the changes with your TV box. That is not the high standard of service we aim to provide and I apologise for any frustration caused. Would you like me to raise a complaint for you regarding the matter?

Best wishes,

Serena

Hey Serena, yes please that would be great. Many thanks.

Hi S19sjs,

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you regarding this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm