cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract made when moving, despite being assured this would not occur

FW1995
Tuning in

Hello, 

I recently have been in touch with Virgin's support on the phone in regard to moving house. 

I was assured verbally *many* times that this would not make the contract be renewed, and would instead run to the previous end of the contract (August 2023). 

I was totally shocked to log in to my Virgin account today to see that a new contract has been generated, to end in 2024. 

This is not what I agreed to in any way. Any assistance to rectify this would be much appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

@FW1995 wrote:

Hello, 

I recently have been in touch with Virgin's support on the phone in regard to moving house. 

I was assured verbally *many* times that this would not make the contract be renewed, and would instead run to the previous end of the contract (August 2023). 

I was totally shocked to log in to my Virgin account today to see that a new contract has been generated, to end in 2024. 

This is not what I agreed to in any way. Any assistance to rectify this would be much appreciated. 

Ah yes, this does seem to happen not infrequently. Firstly the contract with VM is technically to provide a service to a particular address not to a person, so on that basis, then yes, if you move, a new contract needs to be set up. Fine, except that according to VM's, own rules, this new contact is supposed to reflect the minimum term period of your old contract. Now although, you might naively think that this could be automatic, alas no, in VM's world a new contract is set up for you with the standard 18 month minimum period, and then this is 'manually' adjusted 'by a manager' to reflect the terms of your old contract.

Alas it does seem that this 'manual adjustment' doesn't always happen, can't think why this might be. Maybe a member of the forum team (VM employees) might want to wade in and suggest an explanation as to why it does seem to happen, quite often really.

Now one, possible explanation, is that VM deliberately organise things like this so as to maximise their income and hope that the bulk of customers don't notice and just accept it. Of course this is just a 'possible' explanation but I'm sure that the member of the forum team (like I said, VM employees) will be along shortly to give an alternative and equally likely explanation.

Of course, if they respond and don't give a reasonable answer, or rather don't fancy sticking their head, metaphorically, above the parapet, then you might well want to draw your own conclusions regarding VM's business practices.

So to the forum team, fancy sorting this out? Or we know where this is going, no?

I see, thank you for letting me know. 

Yes I very much hope this is the case and that someone can assist me. 

Hi FW1995, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that there is an issue with the contract and this is not the experience we want. 

I will send you a private message and please look out for the purple envelope. 

Kind regards, Chris.