cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contract - cancelation fee if terminated within 14 days

wr_uk
Tuning in

I done with Virgin every time I call retentions to make a change and get completely different information and every time its costs me.

So, I work from home and last week I has some huge files from work to download within a short space of time 1.5TB total and I was looking to see if virgin could provide a temporary solution

I called virgin to see if I could go up to the 1gb connection for 1 month then come back down to my original package which is £55/month

Retentions said they couldn't do that but what I could do instead is upgrade to the 1gb connection download the files and drop back down to my original package. I asked on numerous occasions you are 100% I can do this and there will be no extra costs added to may bill. He said yes as long as its done within a 14 period.

I said I would call be after id looked into other solutions.

The next day I called retentions back to go ahead with the 1gb. It was a different guy this time so had to explain what I was looking to do and checked once again. Will there be charges if I drop back down within the 14 days. If there was I want interested and he said there will not be any charges you will continue to pay the £55 if I drop back down within the 14 days.

So feeling confident I upgraded.

Downloaded the files and a 5 days later (today) I call up to drop back down to my original package or £55/month.

The guy said so you new downgraded package is now £66. I explained the conversations I had before I upgraded and why I was doing it and he had to speak to his manager. He said as a good will gesture they will have a rolling £11 discount. 

So I double checked... so as of this new contract im back to £55? and it will be this going forward? hes replied yes.

It had to be set up as a new contract so he ran through the usual blurb.... and said
so the next bill 20 may will be £114.40 June will be £32.30 then it will be £55 after that.

Without thinking at the time I assumed the the 2 months May and June even through different would amounts would equal 2 months of my origin contract  £110 which obviously isn't the case

So the question is why and what am i being charged for when on 3 occasions I ask if I would get charged and I was told no on each.

Not for the first time I've been misinformed by virgin. 

I've had enough!!! I want to cancel with immediate effect and try a different provider and will I be charged?

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Tricky to comment in detail without having been party to your conversations with VM, but... as a headline view, chopping & changing your package every month certainly isn't VM's normal way of doing business. Adding & removing premium TV channels month-by-month is feasible, but your core elements (TV tier & broadband speed) is something that is generally set at re-contract point and then left for 18months.

@wr_uk wrote:

I want to cancel with immediate effect and try a different provider and will I be charged?

Depends largely when you last made the change to your bundle. If it was more than 14days ago, then you're now contractually bound for your minimum term - most likely 18months. If it was within 14days, then you have the statutory 14days cooling-off period to revert to the previous bundle - and probably then give 30days disconnection notice.

If you do decide to go down this route and are able, make sure your chosen new supplier is able to offer the combination of services you want. There are also some implications on your TV service, if you cancel VM broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

New contract as of this morning so 14 days from today. I just don't trust anything they say anymore

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi wr_uk

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community.

I am very sorry for your experience when making changes to your package, I appreciate this must be frustrating.

You mention that on the call, the adviser informed you that the next two bills will be £32.30 and then £55, have you received any communications from ourselves advising differently?

We would want to do all we can to help get this resolved but if you do wish to proceed with the disconnection of the account, we would advise that you contact the team on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111.

Further information on cancelling the account can be found here

Thank you, 

Nat

Hi Natalie thanks for the reply

Advisor informed me may bill will be £114.40 and June bill will be £32.30.

This doesn't even tally with what I've been sent through on my email. See attached. It's ridiculous. The trust has well and truly gone. The fact that 2 different advisors can assure me there would be no extra costs for the upgrade and downgrade as long as it was done within the 14 day period. I would pay the £55 throughout.

Then the 3 advisor confirming this and I start getting charges.

I can't stay with a provider that tell you one thing and does something else. 

If virgin were true to there word then I would have no problem

Financially, I don't need this added stress.

I've had a look around FTTP has now been installed in our area. So I think it's time to change. 

The bottom line is will virgin try to sneak more charges in if I cancel to go to another provider even though I'm in the 14 day period 

Screenshot_20220418-100912.png

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply and for providing the additional information wr_uk. 

I would like to access your account and check things from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to grab a few more details. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi wr_uk

Thank you for your time on the private messages. 

I am very happy that this issue has now been resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get back in touch. 

Take care, 

Nat