cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account after moving home cant access because old account is active

daniboy879
Joining in
  • Hi, we moved home I called Virgin to help move the connection to new place. The person on the phone signed me up to a new tariff for the bundle I had. In the process a new account was created for me which I wasn’t aware of. My virgin media app is accessed through my primary email but it’s still linked to the old account which is now inactive. There appears to be no way to de-linking the old account number and linking the new account number to my virgin media app. I don’t really want to set up a new account with different email as I don’t access it and will likely miss important emails. The strange thing is that Virgin do have my current email on the new account as I get emails from them but cannot get online to view my account. Will be grateful if old account can be de-linked and new account linked to my login. 
    Thanks,
69 REPLIES 69

Hi NICK___-P, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue when trying to register your account. We can certainly check this out for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am being told by Virgin Media support to set up a different email address just for my account. This is not acceptable. Neither do I think it is necessary. Surely they do not expect all returning customers to set up new email addresses every time they return.

Agreed - I was told the same but it doesn’t make logical sense because the new account has been opened/registered with my current email address. 

Even if that worked - I was told I would be able to switch the new email address back to the old one - but surely the system would not allow two accounts to exist with one email address as it can’t then reconcile the log in attempt. 

Hopefully we get a resolution here instead as I have given up trying over the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I completely agree with you... sadly I was told do that *on here*!

Hi zenithbootleg, 

Thanks for your post. I can see that you are already in a conversation with my colleague Paul. 

More often than not we are able to transfer the log in details from the old account to the new one however in order to do this, the old account needs to be disconnected and the new one active. 

On times, some accounts do bring up an error and so we would then raise it to our IT teams. As a work around, if you have an alternative address then we do recommend using this as the log in as this can be updated later on. 

If you have any further concerns, then please reply to the message Paul has sent you. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi jackh1990, 

Thanks for your post too. 

You are right when you say that 2 accounts cannot be registered with the same email address as the system wouldn't know which account to display. As mentioned on my post above, for us to transfer the log in details from the old account to the new one, the old account needs to be disconnected and the new one active. If either of the accounts are in any other state then the transfer can't happen. 

I can see you're in a private conversation with my colleague Martin. Please reply to the message he has sent and he can help you further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath

I haven’t had any private messages from Martin, only Steven who said to look out here for a response.

Is there an ETA for closed down my old account? Do you know what the problem is with the old account?

Thanks

Jack

Sorry jackh1990, 

My apologies. When looking at the other thread I can see the PM from Martin was for someone else who had commented on the thread. When there is more than one user on a thread it can get confusing. 

I can see Steve has advised that as soon as he has an update, he will come back to you directly and I can see this has been repeated by Lee too. 

For now, it's a case of being patient and waiting for an update from Steve directly. 

Usually the account is closed when the services are disconnected. There are occasions where we need to raise this with IT and there is no ETA when it comes to that I'm afraid. 

Steve will be in touch once he can. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Nick, 

Thanks for sticking with me in private message on this. 

We're glad things are all working for you now. 🙂

In terms of adding a second TV box, this would be classed as a change of package and isn't something we can do via the Community. 

You'll need to give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for them to process the upgrade for you. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi guys,

Similar issue here, moved house and now my Virgin Media app doesn't work as it is linked to my old account number not my new one. Is anyone able to help at all please?

Kind regards

Sam