cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help from MODS on Renewing my contract

Alan782
Dialled in

Hi,

I'm coming to the end of my 18 month contract with Virgin Media, I'm on a M350 broadband + phone deal where I'm paying £34 a month, which will jump to £73.25 after the 8th June.

That price £73.25 is too high for me and I would like to sign a new 18 month contract at a cheaper rate.

I have rung customer services who tell me the best price they can offer me is £46 a month.

Yet, on the website it shows a price (for the same package) of £40.50 a month. 

I was told that deal is only for new customers (yet ironically the £46 a month I'm offered is with a "loyalty discount" which makes no sense considering they are offering a better discount for people who aren't even customers yet?

Can anyone from the Mod team please help me with getting a better price for a new 18 month contract (better than £46 a month, I don't need to upgrade my package as the speed is fine, I just think £46 a month is too high when the deal on the website is for £40.50).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The advertised pricing on the website is to attract new customers (customer acquisition) The goal of the offer isn’t customer retention, you will have already received new customer pricing when you joined. 

Their better deal will become full price once their discounted period expires, the same as yours.

As an existing customer, you may be able to negotiate a ‘loyalty’ or ‘retention’ discount, (and the new pricing you've been offered  looks pretty good) but its very unlikely to match the price point/discount of a new customer offering.  If you aren't happy with the price you've negotiated there is nothing to stop you trying again, however you may find that you've already been offered the best deal available as an existing customer and it may no longer be available.

To receive new customer pricing you need to leave and either take advantage of the new customer deals offered by competitors (best tactic is to switch between competitors each time your discounts end) or cancel and return as a new customer in three months time.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forum team can’t get involved in renewing your contract.

I would suggest accepting the offered, reasonable price or going elsewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm surprised that you think £46 a month is reasonable when the same package is being offered on their website for £40.50?

That's why I'm confused, I don't think I should be paying more than the advertised price? It's like I'm being penalized for being an existing customer? I'm surprised you think that's reasonable.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The advertised pricing on the website is to attract new customers (customer acquisition) The goal of the offer isn’t customer retention, you will have already received new customer pricing when you joined. 

Their better deal will become full price once their discounted period expires, the same as yours.

As an existing customer, you may be able to negotiate a ‘loyalty’ or ‘retention’ discount, (and the new pricing you've been offered  looks pretty good) but its very unlikely to match the price point/discount of a new customer offering.  If you aren't happy with the price you've negotiated there is nothing to stop you trying again, however you may find that you've already been offered the best deal available as an existing customer and it may no longer be available.

To receive new customer pricing you need to leave and either take advantage of the new customer deals offered by competitors (best tactic is to switch between competitors each time your discounts end) or cancel and return as a new customer in three months time.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for that reply Dave, that was actually really helpful in explaining why I wasn't being offered the same price as the website.

As it turns out, I did try talking to them again the best price they could manage was £43, which was better. However, via my account offers I was able to upgrade to the M500 package for £39 a month which was actually even better, so I've done that.

Thanks again Dave for your detailed answer, it is appreciated.