cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding bill

Kd41
On our wavelength

My services are currently restricted as I have an outstanding balance of £175 which is made up of previous and current bills however I have a £160 credit limit and unable to pay balance in full but can make a part payment which would bring me under my credit limit but virgin are asking for either full payment or £80 to restore my services and I just don’t have that much right now.  I was under the impression that the billing cycle runs a month in advance so why can’t I just bring it under my credit limit till I can pay more I rely on my services as I am a vulnerable person who is house bound and struggling financially it’s causing me distress and anxiety and making me ill.  Virgin are being unreasonable and exasperating a difficult situation can someone please help I am willing to pay something but can’t pay what virgin are demanding and it’s a real  struggle to get help or contact anyone at virgin without having to jump through hoops 

K Davis
10 REPLIES 10

Kd41
On our wavelength

Contacted virgin via what’s app waste of time because I wouldn’t commit to paying more than I can afford after offering to make a part payment to bring me under my credit limit they just transferred me to collections and they take forever to get back to me even after I explained I’m a registered vulnerable customer and rely on my services but just need a bit more time to pay they aren’t interested completely unreasonable 

K Davis

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first thing to understand is that your credit limit does not give you any credit facility with Virgin Media.

This credit limit is there to stop you spending too much on PPV or phone calls with Virgin Media.

Following restriction, it is normal for Virgin Media to expect you to pay any outstanding balance in full to restore your service.

If you have discussed your situation and they have offered to restore your service for a payment of £80, I suggest that is the best you can do and be clear with Virgin Media whether you expect to clear your balance in the future to continue the service.

It is also worth discussing withVirgin Media the possibility of reducing your services to ensure you can continue to pay in full in the future.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kd41,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am very sorry to hear your services are currently restricted due to a balance on the account and credit limit.

Although we have a set credit limit for you, if there is an outstanding balance at the time of a new billing period, a restriction would be put in place until the balance is cleared. 

I understand this must be concerning, especially after reading your circumstances so our first recommendation would be to speak to the collections team regarding a payment plan. I see from your message that you were transferred to the collections team on the call. Were they able to discuss the options with you?

Let us know and we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks

Nat

Kd41
On our wavelength
  • They have given me a 7day extension which is apparently all they  could do for me and then want full payment of £175 which is putting excessive financial pressure on me which has a severe affect on my mental illness and anxiety about where I will get the money from  and is going to snowball I am trying my best I explained I don’t get paid till the 3rd of MAY I am disabled and house bound and at risk of self injury so my services are vital to keep in touch with my psychiatrist and doctors video appointments as I cannot get out and my mobile data isn’t great and makes it difficult to make my video appointments I live on benefits which isn’t enough so it’s ongoing however I am not at all happy with being transferred to collections because I couldn’t afford to agree to the demand made by tenzin the agent I agreed to pay £30 today and then he wanted £70 off me next week even though I explained finances are tight and as soon as I said that he passed me on I’m on benefits and all my utilities have gone up and I have just had to renew my carpet due to flooding so therefore I wouldn’t want to make an arranged amount encase I can’t keep to it but did say I’d pay as much as I could so because of this he basically said well Unless u agree to that then I can’t help you and sent me to collections it was certainly not helpful or compassionate didn’t even give me the choice or showed any sort of compromise or understanding of my financial predicament the billing runs a month in advance so in reality I am not actually in arrears but I just need time to get back on track and virgin are putting me under pressure and I cannot cope and it will get too much and I’ll just withdraw and stop communicating what’s even more outrageous is I am supposed to be on the vulnerable person register and I have been told that I cannot get anymore extensions or help in next 6 months I am just flabbergasted virgin Media would behave in this manner with someone who clearly needs help and support 
K Davis

Kd41
On our wavelength
Re: Need advice regarding bill

9 minutes ago

• They have given me a 7day extension which is apparently all they  could do for me and then want full payment of £175 which is putting excessive financial pressure on me which has a severe affect on my mental illness and anxiety about where I will get the money from  and is going to snowball I am trying my best I explained I don’t get paid till the 3rd of MAY I am disabled and house bound and at risk of self injury so my services are vital to keep in touch with my psychiatrist and doctors video appointments as I cannot get out and my mobile data isn’t great and makes it difficult to make my video appointments I live on benefits which isn’t enough so it’s ongoing however I am not at all happy with being transferred to collections because I couldn’t afford to agree to the demand made by tenzin the agent I agreed to pay £30 today and then he wanted £70 off me next week even though I explained finances are tight and as soon as I said that he passed me on I’m on benefits and all my utilities have gone up and I have just had to renew my carpet due to flooding so therefore I wouldn’t want to make an arranged amount encase I can’t keep to it but did say I’d pay as much as I could so because of this he basically said well Unless u agree to that then I can’t help you and sent me to collections it was certainly not helpful or compassionate didn’t even give me the choice or showed any sort of compromise or understanding of my financial predicament the billing runs a month in advance so in reality I am not actually in arrears but I just need time to get back on track and virgin are putting me under pressure and I cannot cope and it will get too much and I’ll just withdraw and stop communicating what’s even more outrageous is I am supposed to be on the vulnerable person register and I have been told that I cannot get anymore extensions or help in next 6 months I am just flabbergasted virgin Media would behave in this manner with someone who clearly needs help and support 
K Davis
K Davis

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. We would usually only private message following an invite from a Forum team member but due to the circumstances we would be happy to confirm some details and continue via the message service. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is difficult for us all, given the increasing prices we are seeing now.

I suspect the best option here is for this customer to consider moving to the Essential Broadband product:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/register-for-essential-broadband

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You beat me to it @Ernie_C 

I was going to suggest the same, provider the OP is in receipt of Universal Credit.

However, the stumbling block may be that the outstanding balance will need clearing first?

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/low-income-families 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Kd41
On our wavelength

All I need is a bit of extra time and understanding I will pay all of the bill but I cannot pay it till I get my money on 3rd may and no I’m not on universal credit I’m not asking for charity I just want to make a payment arrangements instead of putting me under pressure and it’s very condescending to say get basic internet but I’m reliant on strong broadband for video appointments as I have agrophobia I just want virgin to give the support they so freely advertise for vulnerable customers that’s all

K Davis