cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious charge for a 'Package change'

JayGee888
Tuning in

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this situation or could throw some light on it please?

Looking at my latest broadband package bill I see that there is an additional charge of £1.20 for a 'Package change'. On the bill they say that `we have adjusted your services as requested’ – I didn’t request anything to my knowledge!

Ringing customer services, after finally getting through to an agent I was told that this charge is because my telephone service is changing from a traditional phone line to the fibre network. So just like thousands of others I assume!

Anyway she generously agreed that I would be refunded this charge. I have yet to see if this will materialise.

Anyone else had this?

The only other thing I have done around this time is to disable my VM Hotspot service in an attempt to reduce the wi-fi problems I have been having.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's not so much a charge for a package change, as much as additional or pro-rata charges because of a new package.

The usual cause, would be your new bundle costing more than your old one, or pro-rata charges for a new service.

As for what has triggered the charge, that's where the staff team would come in. You may be able to deduce the changes by comparing the detail on your contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JayGee888 wrote:

Looking at my latest broadband package bill I see that there is an additional charge of £1.20 for a 'Package change'. On the bill they say that `we have adjusted your services as requested’ – I didn’t request anything to my knowledge!

Could you post up a picture of this bill entry? Obviously remove any identifiable info.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for your response japitts.  Please see attached...

Virgin Media bill.jpg

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's not so much a charge for a package change, as much as additional or pro-rata charges because of a new package.

The usual cause, would be your new bundle costing more than your old one, or pro-rata charges for a new service.

As for what has triggered the charge, that's where the staff team would come in. You may be able to deduce the changes by comparing the detail on your contract.

Thanks japitts.  Obviously the small sum of money isn't worth losing sleep over, particularly if the refund does appear.  I was mostly surprised at the linking of it to the forthcoming phone changeover to fibre.  It doesn't seem to enhance the reputation of the service agents!   I can see no change to my bundle, in fact I'm still on a promotional discount until June - hence the low monthly charge.  Anyway, I'm happy to let it pass if things go back to normal.  Thanks again.

Hi JayGee, thank you for getting in touch to bring this to our attention. 

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened - it certainly does seem unusual. The change from Copper cable landline services to 21st Century voice is not something that should usually affect your package costs. I can only apologise for this experience! 

Glad to hear the team were able to help sort this over the phone with a credit/refund.

I will happily take a further look into the account for you, but will need to confirm a few details first to do so. I will send you a PM - you can find this in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

All the best. 

Molly