cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Horror Story with Virgin Media: A Tale of Endless Struggles

VMbbsucks
Tuning in

Hello Everyone : https://twitter.com/virginmedia/status/1620397009340403712  

VM Asked me to share my experience on the forums so here it goes ... 

Back in 2019 or early 2020, I became a customer of Virgin media. They started providing fiber optic services in my area and I was impressed with the stability of their internet. However, my experience with their customer service was a different story.

Every time I had to deal with their team, my blood pressure would shoot up. This was a problem for me, as I had a history of high blood pressure. Last month, I asked for a tech to come and move our router from downstairs to upstairs. Virgin media gave us a date which was almost after a month. My wife and I, who both work from home, cleared our schedules for the whole day, but the tech didn't even bother knocking on our door and just left a note saying he visited and no one was home.

After multiple calls, we finally got another appointment on the 27th. The tech did a lousy job and told us we should be online in 5-10 minutes. However, the internet wasn't back and I had to struggle to get in touch with Virgin media again. After talking to multiple agents, they finally sent the tech back who spent another hour to fix it. The internet seemed to be working, but a few hours later, it started messing around again and till today, I still get a minute of stable connection followed by a red light, and this cycle never ends.

My experience with the customer service has been terrible. They would hang up as soon as I would explain a problem, and if I managed to get connected again, I would have to repeat the same thing, only to get hung up on again with no resolution. My father-in-law even had to ask the agent to write down what he was saying ( Because as we figure they say they are noting down the complaint etc in reality they don't give a toss/ They never have any notes or anything from the previous agents etc ), but she hung up on him. Dealing with Virgin media has been such a struggle that if I were to die of a heart attack, I'm sure it would be because of them.

Two years ago, I even complained against them (Separate Issue ) to the Ombudsman and won the case, but Virgin media never issued an apology or paid compensation. I am stuck with them as no other company in my area provides as fast internet. I am tweeting every hour and will continue to do so until the 2nd of February, when they promised to fix the issue.

9 REPLIES 9

VMbbsucks
Tuning in

I cant wait till 2nd of feb all my work my wives work is stalled because of this , we are almost out of our data plans ... 

and unapologetic behaviour of virgin media really sucks and really stressing me out . 

Anonymous
Not applicable

VM remains a monopoly supplier of FTTP in many areas and they are fully aware of this and are exploiting it to the full while they can and while the regulator continues to sleep at the wheel. 

Play the monopoly disadvantage bingo and see how many VM tick https://www.economicshelp.org/microessays/markets/monopoly-diagram/

I completely agree with you. It's frustrating to know that they have a monopoly in many areas and are taking advantage of it without proper regulation. It seems like they have little incentive to improve their customer service and provide a reliable service when they know customers have limited options. It's time for the regulator to step in and ensure fair competition and better service for consumers.

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to post here. I'm very sorry for the poor experience you've had with us recently and for the issues you've had with your services. We'd really like to help and put an end to this issue.

I've popped you over a private message so I can help further. Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Replied 

Thanks 

Finally the issue got fixed on the 2nd ,  Apparently tech while installing the router stapled the wire going to router which caused blockage ? Not sure if the cable will need replacing as he said its ok now and speeds seems to be fine for now . Also he was sent again on 3rd ( I kept getting notifications about another appointment which I didn't make / i hope i wont be charged for that ... )

Conclusion is again the same, Love the service but GOD FORBID IF YOU NEED SUPPORT YOU WILL REGRET LIVING!!! 

If some clown has put a staple or nail through cable internet coax, then to remove the nail and call that a job done is incompetent, I'd have thought that they'd replace the cable if it's between the wall box and the hub? 

Because of the huge range of frequencies and intensive spectrum use with cable internet & TV systems, the coax is hugely sensitive to problems of radio frequency noise ingress, and to deformation of the circular profile of the cable as this can cause internal signal reflections.  The main symptoms for you would be a connection that may not be as reliable as it should, and poor latency which would give a poor experience gaming, making video calls, on Microsoft Teams and so forth. 

Regarding the unpaid compensation that's a breach of applicable regulations (I presume this was CISAS, as Ombudsman Services only recently took over as adjudicator for VM), contact CISAS for advice.  If need be start a new complaint with VM demanding they pay up that amount, and take that to Ombudsman Services (of if OS won't accept that, then search MoneyClaimOnline, and make a claim through the onle small claims court process, that'll be pretty straightforward with an unsatisfied adjudication. 

You should also make a new complaint to VM for compensation for the circa two years of crap connection and crapper customer service.  Wait for that to be fobbed off, reject any resolution letter VM send and ask for a deadlock letter, and go straight to Ombudsman Services.  Don't accept any of VM's feeble £15-40 compo offers.

Hey there, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this got fixed.

Please do ever reach out if you need anything in the near future. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@Matthew_ML wrote:

Hey there, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this got fixed.

Please do ever reach out if you need anything in the near future. Thanks 

I think he has "reached out", and what he needs YOU to fix is (a) the compensation reportedly awarded by a previous adjudication, (b) for you to raise a complaint* about the crap service and faulty connection for however long since then, and possibly (c) for a damaged and not replaced cable to be replaced?

Sometimes the ability of forum staff to pass by on the other side of the road is positively biblical.

* We all know how poor VM's complaint handling is, but the purpose of complaining is merely procedural, so that the matter can be taken to Ombudsamn Services.