cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving in with existing Virgin customer

S_ChopBot
On our wavelength

Apologies if this is the wrong forum board.

I recently switched to the Volt 350 package.

Due to unforseen delays, I'm moving in with family for a few months before moving to my new property. The family are already Virgin customers (M100).

I'm not sure how I should manage moving my package away from my current rented address. Can I:

-   Run two VM packages at one address

-   Have my package unused in limbo for a few months, but still have to pay (and what address would it be attached to?)

I dont think I can move it to my new address as the postcode hasn't been registered with Virgin yet and I can't guarantee when I can move in.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @S_ChopBot 

I'm trying to think outside the box.

Anyone cancelling whilst in contract would have to pay an early termination, the most this would be is £288 (£240 plus VAT)

How long do you have left on your contract? It might work out cheaper to cancel than pay for a service you can't receive, depending on how long you may be living with your family.

Also, how long do your family have left on their contract? It may be worthwhile them cancelling their current contract and then you transferring your account there.

Once you move house again you could then transfer the account to your new property, and your family could then sign up again as a new customer  and take advantage of the new customer discount.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi S_ChopBot, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am afraid we would not be able to run two accounts from the same property so it would require either the current agreement at the address ending and you transferring your account or your current account with us being disconnected. 

If you are leaving the property, we would not be able to keep the account open as new occupants may wish to apply for services and this would result in your account being disconnected.

Are you currently within a contract period for your package? 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Nat,

Thanks for explaining. We wouldn’t be able to transfer our package to the temporary address as we’ll only be here a few months whilst our new property is finished. They would need to continue their contract which also includes TV after we’re gone so that wouldn’t work.

We only upgraded to the Volt package a few months ago so presumably we’re locked in for 18 months.

Thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @S_ChopBot 

I'm trying to think outside the box.

Anyone cancelling whilst in contract would have to pay an early termination, the most this would be is £288 (£240 plus VAT)

How long do you have left on your contract? It might work out cheaper to cancel than pay for a service you can't receive, depending on how long you may be living with your family.

Also, how long do your family have left on their contract? It may be worthwhile them cancelling their current contract and then you transferring your account there.

Once you move house again you could then transfer the account to your new property, and your family could then sign up again as a new customer  and take advantage of the new customer discount.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I concur that you're going to have to either leave your existing account "in limbo" for a few months, or take cancellation penalties somewhere.

You're going to have to get the calculators out and work out the cheapest option, also factoring in whether one account has any particularly generous promotional discounts active.

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees lists the fees.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi S_ChopBot, 

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming. 

I am very sorry to say that the account may need to be disconnected if it cannot be transferred to your new temporary accommodation. 

Our members have made some great suggestions regarding workarounds which could potentially save you some money but do please get back in touch if we can assist further. 

Thank you, 

Nat