Menu
Malk11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Moving home dilemma.

Hi,

Currently I am the account holder for virgin media at my current home, but my parents pay for it using their bank account, thought it easier for them as they are not good with tech and setting up these things.

Problem now is I am moving soon to a new flat which I need virgin media for, plus my parents still need virgin media at their home.

As the account holder will I be classed as a current customer and my parents as new customers even though the house has had virgin media installed for over 10 years.

Also currently we pay £98 per month for tv/bb and phone, which is split between us all, I will not be able to afford that amount when I move, but need fast broadband and a phone at least, tv I could live without for now, but my limit would only be £50-60 per month as an existing customer am I ineligible for new customer offers?

Not sure you understand any of that, its a bit hard to explain.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving home dilemma.

It's not that complicated, but it is complex.

VM care not one jot who pays the direct debits. They only care about the name on the contract.

When you move (congrats on getting your own place - bit scary move but worth it) you will have to tell VM and arrange for a new account at your address provided VM service that address.  I'll refer you to the procedure below.

You will have to return your equipment to VM. They won't reuse it for your parents. It also won't work when you move.

Your parents will have to apply for an account in their name. They will be counted a new customers and will get new customer offers.  They will get new equipment, but should be able to self-install it in place of your existing equipment. You aren't a new customer so you won't be eligible for any deals t your new address.

Start reading here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-moving-home

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

An alternative option is the parents open a new account at your new place, and you remain the existing customer at their place as it is in your name. This would stop any equipment needing to be sent back etc, all you would have to do is wait for the new equipment at your new place.

Be a bit of a play around with the billing if you were to do it that way.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Why don't you transfer your account to your parents. In your new home you'll be one of VM's new customers and can take advantage of deals which VM likes to lavish on them.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there Malk11, 

This is a scenario that we see more that you would think!

In this situation, if your parents want to keep their package and equipment, the easiest option would be to do a Transfer of Responsibility (TOR) into one of your parents names.  They would then become the account holder, get to keep their package and equipment. 

The TOR forms can now be sent via auto email and can be returned the same way - you have 14 days to return the forms to us - you can download the form on our Help pages here: Transfer My Account

You are then free to sign up at another property as a new customer 🙂 

Hope that helps. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Malk11
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies, all of them have helped me loads, never knew about the TOR which would be so much better for me, but would virgin media need a cool down period if I change ownership to my parents then opening a new account under a name that they have not seen as an account holder?

New customer rates would be great for me, as money is going to be tight for a little while, but I always said, tv and internet is a priority, probably more so than a sofa 😄

I will look into the change of ownership, hopefully an easy solution,

Thanks everyone, you have been super helpful.

0 Kudos
Malk11
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie,

Your advice is great and something I am currently trying to do but I am having trouble accessing the link you provided to the Transfer My Account section, can you re-link it please or show me where to see it on the Virgin Media site.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The correct link for where Katie wanted to link to is here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Malk11
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben, 

I have the downloaded forms to fill in, how do I get around inserting text into the fields, they are all write protected and cannot be used, or do I need to print them out then fill them in? I am using the Libreoffice software to view the forms, thanks.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's an MS Word form and you need to enable editing. This is fine for its office users but for the public VM could do this in a better way.

If you are stuck print the form, fill it in, scan it to PDF and email to VM.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection