Menu
Highlighted
mahoney561
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving home charges

I've been on the telephone to Virgin for ages now, so thought I'd ask here while I wait (42 minutes so far)

I'm moving on the 9th October. The operator said that they can't provide service at my new house, so I have to pay £92 cancellation fee. He's saying that as my contract ends in January, I have to pay to the end.

I've reminded him that I don't want to cancel, they can't provide a service so it's not really my fault. I've also pointed out that I doubt very much the contract says that I can't move without paying them for the privilege. 

I have gone through this with 2 operator, neither want to put my through to a manager to discuss it.

It's now been 45 minutes of hold time.

Any suggestions on how to deal with them? I've been a customer of theirs on this contract for 5 years... 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving home charges

they dont have 100% coverage so if you move to a non supplied area thats as it is - its in the T & C's you agreed to and like the rest of us did not read

but all is not lost - theres a price increase from the 1st oct - again in the T & C's it states that if and when that happens customers/users can leave with no fees - so hang up - start again and sight the price increase as the reason for leaving 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

your contract is taken out for the services at the installed address for the minimum term.

If you leave before that you need to cancel and the EDF applies.

VM charge the EDF as stated in the contract you agreed to but if someone moves to a servaable area and agrees to take a new contract 12-18 months Vm do not charge the fee. As you can not do this the EDF will ahve to be paid.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

to add to that - you will give 30 days notice - after that has ended they will/should send you packaging to return the equipment - by the time that is sent you will have moved so arrange to have the packaging sent to a new address - i think they can do that and when you move take the hub and anything else with you

if you dont return the equipment they will charge you so get that sorted

if they dont send packing and that happens far too often come back here and the VM people should be able to arrange it

Tony
0 Kudos
mahoney561
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I stayed on the phone through numerous attempts of them asking if I really wanted to hold. In the end, after an hour and 5 mins of holding I got to speak to a manager.

My final bill will be £8.

Don't let them do the 'computer says' rubbish and common sense will prevail.

0 Kudos