cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and being placed on to a new contract without contest

JackC96
Tuning in

I recently got in touch to let you know im moving house. However, the email i have recieved with the new account details within the contract that i am to pay £49 a month which is much more than I was paying, they have also extended the contract for another 12 months. THIS IS COMPLETELY WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Within the chat with the agent I specifically stated that I do not want any of my services changed, just simply changed to my new address. Today I have spent HOURS on hold to different departments and no one has been remotely helpful. I think its absolutely outrageous that virgin can get away with their appalling customer service. Since no one on the phone has any idea about literally anything, I am hoping that it can be resolved via the forums.

155 REPLIES 155

Yes - same package.

Although one difference is that for some reason I have now have been put on paper billing at a cost of £1.75 a month.

For the avoidance of doubt I would like to return to the monthly fee of my original contract, with the end date of my original contract, and with free ebilling.

Thank you for clarifying @billbell73

I'd be happy to take a closer look with you into this and see what we can arrange, but this will require a PM to do so.

I'll pop one across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a message. 

Thank you. 

Hi Ash_C, I haven't yet received a PM from you. My purple envelope top right has a 0 on it. Maybe you could try again?

I'm so sorry that the message hasn't reached you @billbell73.

I've just popped you another one now, if there are any issues at all please do let me know.

Thank you again.

The same thing has happened me (Again!)

Moved home in June. Explained what had happened previously to the advisor on the phone and stressed I wanted to keep current package and contract the same. They advised I would not be put on a new contract! 

Fast forward to move in time and there are messages about my new contract. I check online and there’s a brand new 18 month contract for my new address. The best part is that my price increases from February 2023 right up until the end of the new contract (November 2023) and there’s nothing I can do about it!

Absolute joke and confirmation this is done on purpose! I’ll be paying £25 a month more for the same services without any opportunity to renegotiate at the end of my supposed contract. 

I’ve been on the phone several times in the last few months to sort this out only to get moved from department to department with no one willing to help. 

Please can I get a private message here so this issue can be addressed!

Michael 

orbitalen
Joining in

Hi, after reading through this thread I have found out that I am in exactly the same situation - I moved house recently and out of a suddent I can see in my account there is a new contract for 18 months from the move date (plus going to full price from Jan 2023 until Dec 2023) whilst I had approximately 6 months left on the old contract. In addition I seem to have been charged £18.52 for package changes even though my package has remained exactly the same as before the move. I even have an email from Virgin stating that my terms will remain exactly as before the move. Could someone from the Virgin team please contact me? Many thanks.

@Mferguson23 @orbitalen 

Now despite what you may have been told, moving house absolutely DOES require a new contract, the contract is tied to the address not to an individual. But as long as you make no changes to the service you are getting, this new contract is supposed to be adjusted to reflect how much time was left on your old one. It seems that this is done by some sort of manual process after the new contract is setup (and they are automatically setup as a new 18 month minimum term), and although it is tempting to think that VM sometimes 'accidentally' forgets to do this, personally, I tend to think it is due more to incompetence, ineffectual management and poor procedures - but what would I know, eh?

However there is every chance that the forum team will see this and offer to contact you both and, hopefully, sort it all out. 

But just in case, I would advise you both to make notes while it is all still fresh in your memory, of exactly when and how you informed VM of your moves, exactly what was said, and importantly what was promised. Now armed with that, and the forum team are unable to help, then you first initiate a formal complaint to VM, the link is here. You request that the contract minimum terms be correctly set, any and all excess payments are refunded, plus a token, say £50 extra off of your bill in recompense for the inconvenience. What actually is most likely to happen, is that the complaint will simply be closed without any further communication, or possibly you will be offered a heartfelt (really) apology with a sentence along the lines of 'we have further explained the bills and costs and we hope this resolution suits you'. With any luck you may even be given the arrestingly insulting resolution of 'education given'

That's all OK, if it is not to your liking, then you reject the resolution and demand a 'deadlock' letter, which VM are obliged to send without delay. They will of course delay and said letter will not be forthcoming, and that's assuming you find someone who actually knows what they are anyway!

Again doesn't matter, either with the deadlock letter or after eight weeks have past since your initial complaint, you take the whole matter to the industry arbitration service CISAS who will look into it. In your submission, explain everything that has happened, request VM be instructed to sort your contracts out, payback any extra costs, oh and of course, extra compensation (£75-£100) for the extra inconvenience. Costs you nothing to make the complaint, does cost VM around £400 in fees just to defend it, so they won't be too keen to go down that route.

But, like I said, no need to take the nuclear option just yet, let's give the forum team a chance to set it right - yes?

Hi @Mferguson23

Thanks for posting - sorry for the confusion. The new contract being put on would be normal, however, they'd amend it to reflect the existing one and apply any relevant rolling credits if cannot get the price to what it should be. You should however have been advised as such. I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi orbitalen

Thanks for posting - sorry for the confusion. The new contract being put on would be normal, however, they'd amend it to reflect the existing one and apply any relevant rolling credits if cannot get the price to what it should be. You should however have been advised as such. I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Mferguson23

Thanks for joining me on PM and allowing me to sort this out 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team