cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home

tonyevans22
Joining in

I will be moving home in around 7 weeks time,and I am tied to an 18 month Contract,with about 11 months left.

Unfortunally my New home is not Covered by Virgin so I have no option to leave.Although I am on a Contract,can I cancel all my services except Broadband,also the New Occupants would like to keep VM when they move in and do not want Broadband disconnected.

What is the situation here on keeping VM for the new tennants please? I can not understand a word from those in the call centre,and it's frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@tonyevans22 wrote:

The New Tennants are not with VM,So what is the point in sending it back for it to be sent out again? This seems complete madness when the simple solution is for them to open an account with all the Stuff here. 

Why Can't VM make it simple to transfer it to the New owners without the hassell of sending items back for it to be sent out again.

Individual items of equipment are matched to an individual account and its VM services so when that account is closed down so is the equipment.

It also (indirectly) protects you as the person linked to the old equipment and your old VM account as there is no link between you and the new tenants (and whatever they may get up to with their VM account, payments etc.)

There have been past topics on here where people have tried to do what you are suggesting (and sometimes succeeded with offshore telephone support incorrectly re-activating old equipment in one case) and it has generally not ended well.

Similar problems have happened when new tenants have taken over payments on an old account in someone elses name in order to keep the services running. When problems arise it is the original account holder who ends up taking responsibility (for things like bad debts, late payments etc.).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tonyevans22 wrote:

I will be moving home in around 7 weeks time,and I am tied to an 18 month Contract,with about 11 months left.

Unfortunally my New home is not Covered by Virgin so I have no option to leave.Although I am on a Contract,can I cancel all my services except Broadband,also the New Occupants would like to keep VM when they move in and do not want Broadband disconnected.

What is the situation here on keeping VM for the new tennants please? I can not understand a word from those in the call centre,and it's frustrating.

Info on early disconnection fees below

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions/early-disconnection-fees

if you are moving to a location in the UK not served by VM, VM will refund your EDF upon proof of your new address (showing it is outside a VM area).

You have to give VM 30 days notice to close down your existing account and all services. You then return all your existing equipment etc. to VM (if it is current model equipment that they request back)

Any new tenants at your old address have to take out their own account with VM in their own name and with their own equipment.

If you are moving from the address, and cannot get VM at the new one, you want to make sure you close down all dealings with VM when you move and make sure all final debts are settled in full for your account.

The New Tennants are not with VM,So what is the point in sending it back for it to be sent out again? This seems complete madness when the simple solution is for them to open an account with all the Stuff here. 

Why Can't VM make it simple to transfer it to the New owners without the hassell of sending items back for it to be sent out again.

@tonyevans22 wrote:

Individual items of equipment are matched to an individual account and its VM services so when that account is closed down so is the equipment.

It also (indirectly) protects you as the person linked to the old equipment and your old VM account as there is no link between you and the new tenants (and whatever they may get up to with their VM account, payments etc.)

There have been past topics on here where people have tried to do what you are suggesting (and sometimes succeeded with offshore telephone support incorrectly re-activating old equipment in one case) and it has generally not ended well.

Similar problems have happened when new tenants have taken over payments on an old account in someone elses name in order to keep the services running. When problems arise it is the original account holder who ends up taking responsibility (for things like bad debts, late payments etc.).

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @tonyevans22 

VM issue new (or in some cases refurbished) equipment to all new customers. 

The current equipment is tied to yourself and your account and VM systems expect it to be returned, if not you are charged for the equipment.

The only method to transfer an account between customers is bereavement of the account holder.

You will need to give 30 days notice through the moving house team, and once they receive documents to confirm that they can't serve your new UK address they will close your account and refund any early termination fees your may have paid.

I have a suggestion for you, which may earn both yourself and the new occupier £50.   Refer them to VM.

Details of how Refer a friend works are on the following page

https://virginmedia.aklamio.com 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Oh right,ok Thanks for your help.I will speak to the people I am exchanging homes with,many thanks.