cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved home, absolute shambles

anthonyeamens
Tuning in

I moved house a month ago, and took my Virgin media broadband contract with me as when checking online and contacting customer services it was perfectly fine to do so, no issues at all.

Had another router sent to us and set it up myself. Everything working perfectly. 

Now I've discovered that our account has been closed and a new contract has been started. We no longer qualify for the promotional price we were paying (£32 a month - only a couple of months into the contract) and instead we have to pay £56 a month and we have to pay an extra £100. 

We were never told about any of this or was anything communicated to us, we have not agreed to a new contract or anything.

Tried to contact customer services, they have no idea what I am talking about or hang up. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello anthonyeamens.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the account/package after moving home.
Id like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Prob manipulated the order to earn a commission.

When moving and taking your services with you it's £20 service charge, the monthly amount and remaining months left stay the same.

You've been missold/scammed and should log a complaint which will go nowhere but after a while complain to CISAS  who will no doubt see through the shambles that is VM

A nice forum mod may pick this up here and assist which will save you unnecessary grief.

Best of luck

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
@anthonyeamens wrote:

I moved house a month ago, and took my Virgin media broadband contract with me as when checking online and contacting customer services it was perfectly fine to do so, no issues at all.

Had another router sent to us and set it up myself. Everything working perfectly. 

Now I've discovered that our account has been closed and a new contract has been started. We no longer qualify for the promotional price we were paying (£32 a month - only a couple of months into the contract) and instead we have to pay £56 a month and we have to pay an extra £100. 

We were never told about any of this or was anything communicated to us, we have not agreed to a new contract or anything.

Tried to contact customer services, they have no idea what I am talking about or hang up. 

Hi @anthonyeamens 

VM set up accounts based on the property and not on the customer. 

When moving home if no changes are made by yourself ie new equipment or a different tariff then the original contract is transferred over and your end date stays the same and you continue to pay the same amount as on your original contract. This is usually actioned by the Moving House team, although sometimes the contract end date needs to be manually adjusted.

I've highlighted that you said you had another router sent to you. Was this the same model of hub as in your old property? If not then that would constitute a contract change and new minimum term and pricing. 

It's also possible that VM sent out a new router as you were moving to a different area, but again I wouldn't expect that to constitute a change in contract providing it was same model hub as you had at your previous address.

If you changed speed etc as part of the home move then that would constitute a new contract, new pricing and a new minimum term

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks @mrkinny, I thought as much.

I'll do as you've suggested, I'm hoping someone from VM will see this and rectify the problem. Customer service is no help at all.

Thanks @newapollo

Apologises I actually got it wrong! (My wife has corrected me) We did in fact bring the original router with us, but received a new cable in the post from VM. 

Everything was exactly the same except been at a new address. 

Now we have a different account number, new contract and no promotional price that we signed up for. None of which was communicated to us. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @anthonyeamens 

Apologies as I forgot to wish you all the best in your new home.

Thanks for the update and clarification about the hub/cabling.

When you move home there would be a one off charge for the home move.

Have you checked your bank statement for any recent VM payments? 

It may show that VM did not take a direct debit for the month when you were in the process of moving,  if so that bill may have been transferred across to your new address.  If that was the case then it may have caused a higher bill (an extra £100 which may be the outstanding payment and the £20 movers fee) and the standard charge for the new address.

A member of the Forum Team should pick this up in a day or two, and look at and explain the charges.

Although they can't process regrades they can often update the systems  with the correct end of contract date.

I'm not sure if they will be able have the billing amount and tariff  corrected or if that will need an agent from regrades/retentions, but the forum team will let you know and help as much as possible.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI again @anthonyeamens 

I've just found  a VM help article which partially explains home move charges and the first bill at the new address

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/bill-explainer/current-bill-explainer 

Thanks for marking my last post as a Helpful Answer, however please click on that post in the right hand corner, and under Post Options unmark as helpful, otherwise the forum team may miss this thread thinking your issue has been resolved.

EDIT If the link doesn't work either try opening it in a different browser or an incognito window.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thank you so much @newapollo, I really appreciate all your help with this.

My wife pays for the bill, but we originally took the contract out 2 months prior to moving so we had already paid previous bills etc. We were under the impression that we would have our next monthly bill with an additional £20 movers fee added to it.

You have been extremely helpful! thank you so much, I've unmarked it as Helpful so someone at VM will hopefully pick this up to discuss.

Hello anthonyeamens.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the account/package after moving home.
Id like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

I just wanted to add to this thread what an absolute star Gareth_L has been in rectifying this issue. The customer service I have received from him has been impeccable and my faith in Virgin media has been restored. 

Thanks again @Gareth_L