cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money Grabbing Cancellation Policy When Moving Home

sc489
On our wavelength

I just informed Virgin Media to cancel my broadband and phone service (off contract) due to moving house 2 weeks hence. I only leaned the move date yesterday after exchange of contracts yet VM insist on giving 30 days notice so I will be charged for period when I have no service. What a money grabbing policy! No other utility service applies such a lock in period for a house move,

I'm pleased to see the back of Virgin Media with their excessive charges and useless customer service.

12 REPLIES 12

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @pateldjp,

Welcome to the Forums, and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you've been advised that you now need a 30-day disconnection. When you spoke with us in early June, did you book your disconnection notice? If you called us to book your disconnection in July, then the standard notice period would apply - we wouldn't be able to backdate this if you only asked for information regarding the process.

To remove the Early Disconnection Fees, you would provide proof of your new home purchase/move-in once your disconnection has been booked as this is the only time that the EDFs are applied to the account.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

So I've been told one thing by one of your team members and no stuck on a 30 day notice for a house I don't live in and out of pocket? I would have given notice if I had been told there was a 30 day notice period. When I spoke to your representative, I said I was surprised you don't need to give notice and he said this was not required. I was told I just needed to send proof of purchase and e.g. a utility bill or council tax bill, which I was able to get only shortly after moving in? 

Why am I being penalised financially for being provided the wrong information by a VM team member? 

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @pateldjp,

Apologies for the confusion with this. So we can look into this further for you, I'm going to pop you a private message. Please look out for it in the top-right of the Forums, in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ