cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading sales tactics

LottaM
Tuning in

I attempted to cancel my broadband and TV package when the price rises were announced as I don't use the tv element much and could get a much better deal elsewhere. I attempted to cancel my contract but the agent on live chat offered me a deal with an O2 sim and broadband for a very compelling price. I agreed, was sent the pre-contract and went about my day after agreeing to this package. I received some texts from O2 to my mobile number and all seemed well.

I then got a bill for my old amount. I contacted an agent via WhatsApp to ask what was going on. They said I hadn't completed the transaction and claimed I had accepted a different package to what I had agreed to. I disputed this and asked for my chat transcripts. They said they couldn't access them, despite quoting from them during the chat. I raised a complaint and today received a nonsensical email saying my complaint was resolved. It most certainly was not. 

I would have left Virgin but the offer I was given was compelling so I stayed and now it isn't being honoured? I feel scammed, to be perfectly honest. 

8 REPLIES 8

LottaM
Tuning in

To add, I can no longer view my contract in the portal either. 

Hi @LottaM 👋 Thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about what's happened 😔 We'll certainly do our very best to get this sorted out for you.

Do you still have access to the pre-contract information you received?

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, I do. I managed to get hold of an agent who wouldn't reopen the unresolved complaint that was closed who eventually offered me the same offer. I went through a lot of rigmarole to get everything set up and was then told my next bill would be £15,687.53, probably to distract from the fact that there was now a disconnection fee added to the cost that had not been mentioned in the discussion previously. Now I apparently have to contact O2 separately to cancel the contract and the agent I am speaking to can't do it. If the agent hadn't again tried to mislead me I could have saved myself several hours today.

That is a big old bill. I'd expect Netflix to be bundled at that price. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Hi @Daniel_ET : The agent did not reinstate my previous contract and I've just received an email saying my new offer starts in June, despite me telling him to cancel it immediately after he told me I'd be charged a disconnection fee to take the offer that was suggested to me. This is really not good enough. Whatever incentives your agents are on do not drive customer centric behaviour. It is just lie after lie to try close sales.

My second complaint has now been marked as "resolved". Utter rubbish! Below is what the email "reaolution" contained this time. What is the point in having a complaints process? Does your customer support team just want everyone to resort to the ombudsman? 

Thanks so much for the chat on 22/05/2023. We’re very happy to be able to resolve things for you.

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Cable -> Billing/Charges -> I am unhappy about the arrears process

And here’s what we agreed:
Billing -> Extra guidance on billing

Stay on top of your services

To make this even more fun, I have not had access to the TV service since this all started. Just confirmed it's still not working. How can I apply to be refunded for the tv portion of my package since it has been off since April?

Hi @LottaM 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill