cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Kids TV Channels

MonkeyDucky
Tuning in

Hi,

My existing Virgin contract was due to run out at the end of October 2020, so when I received a cold sales call from Virgin Media in the middle of October, it was an opportune time to discuss options.  I had been on the XL TV package and 200MB broadband so was happy when I was offered 350MB broadband and the addition of Sky Movies for essentially the same price as I was already paying (MAXIT TV package).  The sales team member advised me that I would be receiving Sky Movies now but was not told of any other changes to the TV package.

However, soon it became clear that I had lost the few Kids TV channels that my daughter watches most of the time (mainly Nickelodeon).  I had not been made aware during the sales call that this was going to happen.

Hunting around online, I then land on a Virgin Media web page that advises MAXIT TV customers will receive 4-5 Kids TV channels for the month of November at no extra charge.  Running through my channel listing and attempting to watch Nickelodeon (as an example), I am presented with a subscribe screen and a message to say that this channel can be added as part of an additional pack at £5 per month.

So, I have two questions:

1)  Why am I not able to watch Nickelodeon and other kids channels currently, given MAXIT customers are supposed to have these channels FoC for the month of November?

2) More importantly, I was not advised of the loss of kids channels during the sales call where I agreed to accept the new contract with addition of Sky Movies.  Therefore, what can VM do for me in this regard?  This is a loss of service that I was not made aware of during the sales call.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi,

What's happened here is there are actually 2 versions of the XL/Full-House bundle. Legacy versions do indeed include the kids channels, but current equivalents don't, and kids channels (Nickelodeon, Nickelodeon+1, Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network+1, Cartoonito, Boomerang, Boomerang+1, Zoomoo HD, Nick Junior, Nicktoons, Nick Jr Too, Nick HD, Nick+1) are now a chargeable add-on at £5 per month.

There does look to be another freeview period - https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tv/kids-tv-open-window covering some of these channels - Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Cartoonito and Boomerang.

So far as the 4 specific channels go, I'd recommend following Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels, if you are on an eligible package and not receiving these.

As regards your package not including them, you will need to call C/S back and discuss this. The kids channels are now a chargeable add-on which VM can certainly add to your package, but whether they can/willl include them in your offer price is for C/S to decide. With any package re-grade you have 14days cooling off, so if worst comes to worst you can cancel all the changes you've made, revert to your previous package and then decide what you want to do - either renegotiate from scratch or stay as you "were". Unfortunately in your case it sounds like you'll have gone beyond that, so you might have to speak very nicely to C/S and see what they can do. I'd certainly be inclined to follow the "thinking of leaving us" route through the C/S menu, in the hope you get a more amenable agent.

There's always the complaints route if you feel mis-sold, but I'd suggest going the "play nice, ask nice" avenue first, and then keep the complaint up your sleeve incase it's required later on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi,

What's happened here is there are actually 2 versions of the XL/Full-House bundle. Legacy versions do indeed include the kids channels, but current equivalents don't, and kids channels (Nickelodeon, Nickelodeon+1, Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network+1, Cartoonito, Boomerang, Boomerang+1, Zoomoo HD, Nick Junior, Nicktoons, Nick Jr Too, Nick HD, Nick+1) are now a chargeable add-on at £5 per month.

There does look to be another freeview period - https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tv/kids-tv-open-window covering some of these channels - Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Cartoonito and Boomerang.

So far as the 4 specific channels go, I'd recommend following Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels, if you are on an eligible package and not receiving these.

As regards your package not including them, you will need to call C/S back and discuss this. The kids channels are now a chargeable add-on which VM can certainly add to your package, but whether they can/willl include them in your offer price is for C/S to decide. With any package re-grade you have 14days cooling off, so if worst comes to worst you can cancel all the changes you've made, revert to your previous package and then decide what you want to do - either renegotiate from scratch or stay as you "were". Unfortunately in your case it sounds like you'll have gone beyond that, so you might have to speak very nicely to C/S and see what they can do. I'd certainly be inclined to follow the "thinking of leaving us" route through the C/S menu, in the hope you get a more amenable agent.

There's always the complaints route if you feel mis-sold, but I'd suggest going the "play nice, ask nice" avenue first, and then keep the complaint up your sleeve incase it's required later on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you, japitts.  Appreciate your feedback.

I have a similar story to the one above. My autistic son went to watch Spongebob for the first time in a long time only to find we had lost the channels it is on. No one had told us. I feel that I should have been warned that we were losing the channels. I have phoned up and explained the situation. I was offered 6 months free of kids channels but was put off by the fact that it was up to me to cancel or i would be charged.extra.

3 things worry me

1 No warning was given 

2 the new offer is a littel cynical 

as a) Virgin Media benefit if I forget.

b) My son gets used to it again and I feel pressured into paying more.

3 When the kids channels were quietly removed my bill didn't get reduced. 

To concude I pay close to £120 a month and since November 2007 my bill has only gone up despite my loyalty. 

My question - Could this have not been handled better?

Thanks. Overall I love Virgin Media.

Best wishes

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"Could this have not been handled better?"

Whilst I sympathise with your case, the answer (IMO) does depend on when you did the package change that resulted in the channels being lost, and therefore how long it took you to notice.

Yes, VM should potentially have advised you at point of changing bundle, but on the flip side how were they to know those channels mattered to you - did you specifically ask/check?

You've got 6 months free of a chargeable add-on, when many other customers may well not get. Depending how concerned you are, I'd suggest making a diary note for 5 months time.

Hi @olly70,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear this and appreciate your feedback around being notified.

I can understand your concerns about taking up the offer of free 6 months kids channels but as @japitts has suggested may be worth making a diary note if you are worried you may forget. 

Let us know if you've any other questions. 

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi olly70,

I'm surprised the agent you spoke to never took the opportunity to compare your package with other packages and see if they could reduce the cost in exchange for a new 18 month contract.

You don't say which package you are on but if you are out of contract, or coming to the end of a contract then you should maybe look at negotiating a new contract to save money on your own terms.

You can check out the prices and what's available on the following page

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles  

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with.

You should check out the channels available in each package using the June Channel Guide columns 5 and 6, the other packages are now discontinued.

.If there’s a plus sign next to the listing then it’s available as part of a Personal Pick collection.

Personal Picks are grouped into Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle, Entertainment & Sport Lite and Kids categories.

As you are now aware the kids Personal Pick is £5 a month.  With the other Personal Picks, the first one you add is an extra £7 a month, any additional ones are £5 a month. You can cancel the Personal Pick at any time by giving 30 days notice. It won't affect your contract or any discounts you have.

There is a selection of Personal Picks <<< Here >>> 

Unfortunately you need to contact VM directly as the Forum Team don't have access to enable them to change your package. 

You should call  150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1,4 and 4 Retentions (thinking of leaving us)  The best time to call is between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

Hopefully you can then negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali